new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
new tank

Hi,

I will be converting a 47" x 17" x 24" deep reef tank into a planted tank next month.

The tank has an overflow weir and I had intended to cut this out using a stanley blade but this would be a lot of work and someone has suggested that I leave it in situ, block off the drilled holes in the bottom and use it for the inflow for the two cannister filters I will install. What do you think?

I had intended to line the back and sides of the tank with cork tiles as background - again what do you think?

I also have a 10" x 6" cannister filter body I was using as a DIY calcium reactor which I will use as a CO2 diffuser. I have strapped an Eheim 1048 pump to the side as a recirculater and will add the CO2 on the pump outflow side. Would it be any advantage to add Bio balls , or hair curlers, to help break up the bubbles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
The weir can be used as the housing for the intake which would be a great idea!

As for the cork tiles it would be kinda cool to have moss or plants attatch itself to it.

The reactor would be kinda cool too I don't know about the bio-balls or the hair curlers cause I have never used a reactor.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith00 View Post
I had intended to line the back and sides of the tank with cork tiles as background - again what do you think?
Hi Keith, welcome to the Planted Tank!

Cork tiles INSIDE the tank are a bad idea, they decompose over time, screwing up your water. Search for cork, there was a very nice tank that had a quick ending (I think it was by Aquaverde?).

Regarding bioballs and such to break up CO2, this might work, keep in mind anything you put in their gums up over time and needs to be cleaned. That's the beauty of an external inline reactor that's empty... pretty much maintenance free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Are these real?

Found the link -- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...g-journal.html

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks for your thoughts - I will definitely not have cork.
To be honest the main reason for the cork was the tank is only 17" front to back and I didn't want anything too bulky. I may look into slate tiles.

I found the DIY pages fascinating, especially the filter. I don't think it would be man enough for a 60 gallon(UK) tank but would be an excellent addition to the flow. What would you think to injecting the CO2 into this powerhead instead of the in-line diffuser/external filter? I could still incorporate an in-line bubble counter.

Any thoughts on using the overflow weir for the cannister filter intakes?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
i think its a great idea to keep he overflow. it will help skim off any trimings and act as a disposal area for easy removal of the trimmings, and it will also help conceal the intakes making for a better aquascape. I say go for it!! worst comes to worse, you take it out later.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Most folks with planted opt for just a plain background as the plants are enough of a focal point so that the tank doesn't really need anything else. I painted the outside back glass of mine black using a paint intended for plastic although I understand just plain latex based paint would work as well.

It's a matter of individual taste of course.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith00 View Post
I found the DIY pages fascinating, especially the filter. I don't think it would be man enough for a 60 gallon(UK) tank but would be an excellent addition to the flow. What would you think to injecting the CO2 into this powerhead instead of the in-line diffuser/external filter? I could still incorporate an in-line bubble counter.
Thanks Keith. Injecting the CO2 into a powerhead works very well. Drawbacks are 1) another thing inside the tank, and 2) you need to clean the sponge once in a while.

If you do have two canisters I would suggest an external inline reactor instead, where bubbles raise up against the filter outflow and dissolve this way, outside of the tank, and 100%.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Hmm,

The first drawback would not impinge visually because the weir is situated on the side of the tank but 7" from the back to enable me to hide such things as powerheads and since it is there anyway I could take advantage of the gap.

This would mean that I would not have to buy or build a diffuser - as I am mean and lazy I must admit the idea is attractive as long as the method is effective. I have modified one of my Maxijets to considerably increase its flow and if I add the CO2 behind the intake I would imagine the increased flow would break up the bubbles even more efficiently.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Are these real?

That would work well, the impeller breaks up CO2 bubbles to fine mist, and if the tiny bubbles drifting through your tank don't bother you, it should be a good solution. I have done the exact same thing on my 36gal tank when I set it up and it is still working great.

I am full of envy after going through your website... nice diving trips. When I am rich I want to do the same thing. Right now I can only afford diving the cold Pacific every other year. Just went diving in Monterey, quite an experience having curious seals nibbling on your fins.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Good.

One more thing would it be more advantageous to add the powerhead towards the bottom of the tank to give the micro bubbles even more chance to disperse?
I will still be able to access it fairly easily for servicing.

Glad you liked the web-sites. I must hasten to add that I am not rich however!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Are these real?

That's how I set it up in my tank. The powerhead is actually sitting reversed on the bottom of the tank, and the sponge sticks on top of it for easier access. The bubbles shoot towards the front of the tank, and raise up slowly to the surface. I am very sure that on their way all CO2 is exchanged to O2. With a very low bubble count, I get a good CO2 level in my tank.

Keep in mind that some powerheads don't like to be turned around, and make a racket if you do. The impeller probably hits the plastic housing.

I have an AquaClear 30 which works well upside down, and an AC50 which does not. Just gotta try it...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode