i am new to this fourm - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question i am new to this fourm

i would like to have one of my tanks planted. could someon please make me a list of easy to grow plants that require no fertlizers and little amound amount of light. thank you very much.

me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Let me be the first one to welcome you .
Stem plants in general are good fast growers.also get some Anubias ,Java fern ,Ludwegia repens. .hygro ,cryptocoryne green/brown.
There is a lot more,but my suggestion to you is to plant heavily all in one shot ,try DIY co2 for sure. if not going to use any kind of fertilizer,then maybe there is another option for you:
http://www.barrreport.com/articles/4...non+co2+method
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

thank you i tried planting these little seeds that say they grow 6 - 8 inchs in 15 - 18 days, but its day 4 and they dont seem to be growing. i think actuall live plants my be my best choice

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEVINE View Post
thank you i tried planting these little seeds that say they grow 6 - 8 inchs in 15 - 18 days, but its day 4 and they dont seem to be growing. i think actuall live plants my be my best choice
Try actual live plants,and buy a lot of them.I hope other members will suggest better choice of plants ,if you go to your local fish store and ask for fast growing low light stem plants,I'm sure they can come up with something.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Moneywort seems to hold up pretty well.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I would suggest Sunset Hygro(or any hygo for that matter). It is colorful and does well in low-moderate light. Also Anachris, Anubias, Java Ferns, Moss, Crypts, and my favorite....Brazilian Pennywort.

BTW Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the sugestions. and the welcoms. i wanted to get live plants but wasnt sure of what to get i had a list of easy to grow plants but the guy at petco was like blah blah blah i thing this is this and i thing this is this and umm i think these are illegal and we dont have them. i was just like like errrr w/e so i got a pack of seeds that said they grow in 18 days. so i wanted to try that. but now i know some ideas and some of your favroits i am going to get a few plants. i really appricate the sugestions and the help you have provided. one more question tho. how many plants should i get? oh and one more, when i get them the plastic thing on the bottome of the plant, do you burry that in the sand or gravel or set it on top? does it matter?

thanks so much i really like the help this fourm provides
-PEVINE-
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
Live plants don't come with a plastic base like the artificial ones do. If you're talking about a rubber band or plant weight or something else used to hold a group of stems together, take that off before you plant them.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

ok. i belive i am going to get some plants friday most likely.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEVINE View Post
thank you for the sugestions. and the welcoms. i wanted to get live plants but wasnt sure of what to get i had a list of easy to grow plants but the guy at petco was like blah blah blah i thing this is this and i thing this is this and umm i think these are illegal and we dont have them. i was just like like errrr w/e so i got a pack of seeds that said they grow in 18 days. so i wanted to try that. but now i know some ideas and some of your favroits i am going to get a few plants. i really appricate the sugestions and the help you have provided. one more question tho. how many plants should i get? oh and one more, when i get them the plastic thing on the bottome of the plant, do you burry that in the sand or gravel or set it on top? does it matter?

thanks so much i really like the help this fourm provides
-PEVINE-
No offense to anyone that knows people who work for Petco, but petco employees generally dont know crap

When you say seeds, do you mean bulbs?

Regarding the plastic thing I think what you mean is that the plant is potted. I would take them out carefully as to not damage the roots then plant them in my tank to allow the roots to grow in my nutrient rich substrate. Also, you should look into trying a substrate called "Flourite" which is rich in iron and is designed for plant growth. Make sure you rinse it VERY well. Any more questions... just ask on the forum. People here are very helpful.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Petsmart and Petco are less experienced than most stores. But at least there better than walmart

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
First things first, what size tank, and how much lighting? If you have the stock strip light that comes with a lot of aquariums, it isn't enough light to grow plants. Before you spend any money, read Rex Grigg's guide--it will help you understand what you need and why. You don't have to have high light and CO2, you just have to plant your tank with plants that don't need those conditions. Anubias, java fern, mosses all do well with low light. But these are slow growers, and you need fast-growing stem plants to get your tank cycled properly. You can get anacharis and bacopa at most big-box stores, but make sure it is a fresh shipment, so the plants will be as healthy as possible. Better yet, when you are ready, post in Swap n Shop to buy fast-growing stems for low light. You will want to plant at least half your tank with these fast growers to start with, and later on you can replace them with the slow-growing plants (again, best place to buy IMHO is the Swap n Shop).

Welcome to the forum, and be sure to read the postings in the Low Tech forum, which it aimed at low-light, low-maintenance tanks. Here's a link to Rex's site:

http://rexgrigg.com
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 AM

This is a good general guideline for dealing with all customer service level employees.

If you have an easy question to ask, such as “where is this certain product in your store?”, than ask the employee.

If it is a harder question, such as “what type of live plants are good for low lighting conditions” or “how many fish can I keep in this tank?”, than don’t ask. You’re better off figuring it out for yourself.

That's how I ended up with a $44 ballast and $20 of wires from lowes when I was trying to set up my lighting system.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

"When you say seeds, do you mean bulbs?" yes i appolige for confussion.

in the tank i am planting in i have a floressent light in it. it is a 10 gallon tank. it is sand not gravel not sure that matters. i have been googleing aquatic plants and have found alot that require low light and no co2 and no fertlizer ( what is fertilizer how do you use it in a tank?)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode