Re-doing a tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Re-doing a tank?

I have this 20G high that I've been meaning to restart.. everything was just kind of haphazardly thrown together.

My question is, so, how much loss can I expect by transporting all 2348094238723489 of my guppies and a few other fish to a temporary 10gallon setup, and then re-doing the tank with new substrate etc.. and then SLOWLY re-introducing the fish back into the tank? I know it's going to go through another cycle, hopefully the existing filter media will help boost the cycle process. How about my plants? I've got 1 small patch of dwarf hairgrass, 1 anubias nana, 1 wisteria, 1 water sprite, 5 or 6 corkscrew val, and a few unidentified plants.

This is a shot of my tank as it looks right now..

As you can see, it needs quite a bit of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
I just redid my 8gal Endlers livebearer tank. Had gotten a real hair algae problem, and just decided to start all over. Didn't have another tank to use temporarily, so I cleaned out the whole tank, even cleaned out the filter, cleaned off the driftwood, put the fish in a 5gal bucket. I put in new substrate, and brought in plants from another tank. The only plants I kept from this tank were some petite nanas, so I spent a bit of time with a magnifying glass and tweezers to make sure there was no trace of hair algae on them. Let the tank rest from afternoon till late evening, then put the fish back in, and crossed my fingers. Now it is 24 hours later, and all seems well. Probably not the best thing to do, but sometimes you don't have much choice. It would have been better to just leave the filter till later, after the tank had been running for a while, but I was afraid there might be a trace of the hair algae in the filter. And the Endlers, as with guppies, are pretty hardy. This might not work with all kinds of fish.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've got a few more things in the tank, im going to do something tomorrow.. move fish and whatnot. I'll update.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode