Making an Ecosystem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Making an Ecosystem

I have a fresh wate 10 gallon tank with five tiny fish four being minnows and one a goldfish (which I originally bought to feed my little tiny red eared sliders) three South American algae eaters (tiny and fast always hiding) and two red eared sliders that I won at a fair in Florida.
I was thinking of buying some feeder shrimp and tying to create an ecosystem. I have some plants that the turtles are quickly eating and have been feeding them fish flakes, beta food and on special occasions some gourmet river shrimp out of a can.

I'd like my tank to be a little more predatory and am looking to make my observation of these little critters more enjoyable.

Could I buy some feeder shrimp to feed the critters? Would they reproduce fast enough to keep the ecosystem alive? My goal is to make this tank very low maintenance. I'd like to give the critters an ecosystem that requires very little human interaction. Any suggestions?

PS The tank has a filter and i gave the turtles underwater plants to munch on and a decorative tree stump to bask on. There is no heater, only my 160 watt bulb pointed at the tank during the day.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
10 gallons is way to small for two turtles. and you need to be feeding them turtle food, reptoimin is good and feeder shrimp are good but they wont last long enough to breed. I'm assuming they're small other wise they would have eaten the fish by now. they will soon enough. turtles are best kept alone or with big goldfish or koi. and plants are a bad idea because they just tear them up. I suggest at least a 30 gallon long and no gravel just some big rocks. turtles are messy. to have a turtle ecosystem that works you have to set up a large pond. also if you notice the turtles out of the water basking way to much its probably because the water is to cold and you need a heater, make sure to get an unbreakable plastic heater, i learned the hard way on that one. if you follow my advise you will have happy turtles and an easy to care for set up. google turtles there's lots of info out there. good luck.

a bad shot of my indoor turtle habitat
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
is a 10 gal too small for two half dollar sized turtles that are about 7 months old?

Once they get to be of legal size i'd like to sell them to a pet store.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
10 gallons if fine till they get bigger.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
either way you will need to keep feeding the turtles....10 gal is WAY to small to get a sustainable ecosystem going in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode