4x65 watt PC - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: IS a 4x65 watt PC setup enough to grow anything ?
Yes 14 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
4x65 watt PC

hey i found a 3 month old coralife 4x65 watt PC setup for a nice price. time for a question is it enough to grow anything i want ? or do i need more. Im redoing my tank and trying to decide between PC and HO T5. thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
More than enough light, I like less just to save electricity.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have one of those over my 110 gallon (they make 4x65 in 5' fixture too). I've actually been only burning half the lights because I wanted to slow down growth a bit and give me less maintenance, and stuff is still growing well despite that. With all four burning I had very good luck with stems and even managed to keep a tight short dwarf-sag foreground. More than enough, go for it!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I've got one on a 75 and it has grown anything I put in the tank.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

think it will grow hc ?

happy fishing

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

HC doesn't need that much light, what are you using now? I have 168 watts of normal output T-5 and it grows great.

The problem with the 4x65 fixtures is that you have to use the mounting legs to get even coverage. I like having a glass top so I use 3 t-5 aqualight double strips.

With the PC fixture I have had a couple bulbs burn out after a few months use.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i was actually wondering the same thing, i've been looking at them at work for awhile and trying to figrue out if they'd work over a 75 gallon. i really wanted to go for a reef tank but i know in the long run it'll suffer during summer when i'm too busy to monitor everything. That and the over all power bill would be unreal with 14 other tanks running at home.

good to hear a friend has one he might be willing to sell cheap so i'll take a look at it and see .

i love this website i can find every answer i've been seeking here so far.

jason
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok well a new question for all 4x54 watt T5 or 4x65 watt PC ? which is better. Obviously the HO T5 but it will probabily be more expensive never the less would you like a 4x54 watt T5 or a 4x65 watt PC id love to hear some feed back.

happy fishing

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

T5's are very nice - each bulb has an individual parabolic reflector so they put a lot more of the light into the tank than the fatter PCs which get a lot of strike-back (light reflecting off the reflector and back onto the bulb). I would bet that the light output is similar, even though the wattage is higher on the PCs. I bought a Tek light used, but haven't been using it yet.

I'd like to hear how they compare on longevity and heat output. Anyone have experience with this?

I <3 Eheim #195
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

4x54 T-5s, you can more easily try different bulb combinations, no fans, more even lighting, more intense, better reflectors.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

as ive read T5 Ho are good 12-18 months PC last 6-8... PC = really hot T5= cool like enough to touch thats why the tek lights have no fans where as PC lights often do.

happy fishing

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've had the opposite experience with PC lifespans actually - I burn them until they pop, which is generally several years. The spectrum dips some in the beginning, but then levels off and stays steady pretty much till they're gone, and they continue to grow plants well even after ~3 years burning. I definitely agree with you on the heat issue though - they are HOT.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the input i just found a place that sells the 4x54 watt TEK light for 286 dollars american with the cable mount !

happy fishing

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 07:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have a 4-65 watt pc fixture over my (empty for now) 75 gallon and even with the plexiglass i have as a top for my tank its hard to look into the tank lol. i can bet you its not going to look much differint with the water in.

as for the pc vs t5. i think you would be happier with the t5 fixture i dont have any first hand experiance with t5's but from what i read the t5's are the best for plant growing after MH lights. if i hadent already bought my pc fixture i would definetly have bought the 4 light t5 fixture.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode