Nix
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ludwigia growing horizontally?

Hello,

I'm growing Ludiwigia glandulosa for the first time and this damn thing,
while of beautiful color, is insisting on growing horizontally instead of
straight up as its other ludwigia cousins growing right beside it. I don't
have much light and as said, other ludwigia's don't do it.

When I google for pics of this plant (but than I don't think even half of the
pics found are actually showing this particular plant at all. They all look
very different) it seems it's not supposed to do that at all.

Is this nevertheless normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Nix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Mine never has....it is as straight as an arrow. I have to think it is a light issue.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
you sure it's not rotala goias ? posting a photo would really help us help you.
at least link us to the google image photo that best represents what you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
My L. Repens tend to grow at about a 45 degree angle. I've got a Glass support that it's growing under and have hypthesized it was because of that, but have never attempted to prove or disprove it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Mine grew vertically, even in a high light tank. Some plants, however, will grow horizontally in high light (glosso, bacopa caroliniana, stargrass, HM, many others). I agree that it sounds like a light issue, since sometimes plants will grow horizontally when they're "reaching out" and trying to find the light source in a tank where there is insufficient light, reflectors or whatnot.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Nix
Algae Grower

Hi,

thanks and yes, I should have thought of adding a picture right away.
I got this done now:

You see its QUITE vertical in it's growth.

Light issue some of you say. Really, I have L. repens and mullerti right beside this ones (also Bacopa carolina) with the same light overhead etc. and they grow *upwards*.

I just have 0.5 w/g, not what one could call too much...

Nix
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Its a light issue. Mine also did that when it got too tall and hit the roof of the water. so that it could get light to its lower leaves it started leaning over untill I finally pulled it and trimmed the stem. I don't see water level being your issue but with the orentation of the leaves it is 100% a light issue. as the plant is moving it leaves to get the light you're offering.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Nix
Algae Grower

Hi,
so my light is too low?

I thought plant start that behaviour, like glosso, when the light is high not low.

Seems the plant and I have to part then as I don't like
it crawling and overshadowering my carpet plants.

Thank you.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
You have enough light from what I read in Blacks post but when it gets to the top pf the tank the leaves start blocking light for the rest of the plant and therefore it bends like that.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Nix
Algae Grower

But they did not reach the top of the tank. They grew this way from the start,
the surface is at least 12 inches away and they do everything *not* to reach
it. Sorry, I don't get it (obviously).
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well it looks as if it tied it self down that way with its roots. your pushing 1/2 wpg if I read correctly. I'm pushing 6.5 wpg. So I'm sure its a different game all toghether. Hell I'm supprised you're getting that kind of coloring at that low of WPG.
From what I can see to the right of those two plants is more Ludwigia G. these plants seem to like to spread and get their own space and don't like being planted close toghether. even in my tank when I had them too tightly planted one would do awesome and have amazing brillant colloring. where the one next to it was totally stunted and green because it was overshadowed. Yours seem to have compensated for space by pulling to the side to be able to get the light you do have. Once they got going it looks like additional roots did the same. Now its doing it as habbit. this type of Lud is very mobile when it comes to getting the light it wants.
You could clip those roots that are holding it down and it will probably start growing back towards the roof.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Nix
Algae Grower

Well, the roots aren't attached to anything they are just hanging around, but I will cut them next pruning day (if I don't dump the plant entirely) and see what happens.
Thank you.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Nix
Algae Grower

Hello,
just realize a freudian slip: I meant that I have 0,5 watt/*liter* not gallon.
But that is still not much.
Does that change anything?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

ahh ok. they look as tho they are attached. Don't bother pruning them then.
well maybe moving the stem to the othe side of the log to give it more room. Ehh.. does it bother you? myself I'd just leave it and let it do its thing. If it bugged me I'd just trim it and replant elsewhere or in another tank.

.5 a ltr is like what almost 2wpg? that makes more sense. and explains the coloring of the plant.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
From what I remember, L. glandulosa needs some space when planted. If it gets shaded it starts losing its lower leaves and turning green as Blacksunshine mentioned. Especially since you have the low end of lighting for the plant, likely it's growing horizontally initially to get some light. You can see where it started growing horizontally - it will continue growing along that path once it gets enough light.

I suggest as an experiment you try pruning one of the healthy horizontal stems and plant it in an open area to see how it grows compared to the rest of your bunch.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode