Trouble with anacharis growing fast but not green? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trouble with anacharis growing fast but not green?

Hello all! Been reading through the forum for a couple weeks and just joined today. Lots of great info so far so I'm hoping maybe someone can give me a couple pointers on a problem I'm having with my Anacharis.

I've had my anacharis growing for about 2 months now and its growing like crazy, throwing off lots of shoots and is about 5 times the size it was when I bought it. The problem is its just not looking very vibrant green. Most of the longer stalks are only bright green at the last inch or two. Other tanks I've seen with anacharis are bushier and healthier looking.

My setup is a 30 gallon long, using a 32 watt CFL 6700K aquatic plant bulb in a reflector dome directly over the plants about 3" off the water. Now Its my understanding 2 watts per gallon is ideal but I only have my plants in 1 corner of the tank so I did my math based on 15 gallons not 30. Is this wrong? Would putting another dome on the non planted side even do anything? Should I go up to like a 60 watt in the single dome?

I'm also dosing twice a week with seachem flourish (not excel). Already learned that mistake. I have maybe 6-10 snails (no idea what species, they are local) but they never touch the plants and I also have 15 mosquito fish that also never bother the plants.

My water quality is good based on my test kit, zero ammonia or nitrates and PH is 7.2, Temp is a steady 68 degrees, I do about a 20% water change every 2 weeks and always use prime before adding new water.

I don't use a co2 system but was under the impression it's not really needed for anacharis. Again am I wrong here?

Can anyone see the mistakes I'm making here or have any advice? Thanks in advance everyone!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode