Acrylic tank suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Acrylic tank suggestions

Hello all,

I'm looking to put a small-ish (~29G) tank into my living room. Due to considerations including my own clumsiness and my landlords aversion to aquariums in general (due to the potential for water damage) I want to go with an acrylic tank, and was looking for suggestions.

I've seen to main commercial manufacturers of acrylics -- TruVu and SeaClear. Does anyone have any experience with either (or preferably both)?

Also, how badly do cats tend to scratch acrylics - I know that their claws are 0.5 grades below acrylic in Mohs hardness, but I also know that they can even scratch glass? We have two cats, and while they don't really scratch hard furniture (they scratch carpeted/cloth objects) I've seen them paw at the TV; sometimes you hear a tap but they aren't scratching, they're claws are merely partially extended because they're stretching their leg. I foresee them having level access to one side of the tank, fairly close. Any suggestions in that arena?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I had both brands (just sold SeaClear) and both are good quality. My 75g TruVue is pushing ~12 years of continuous service. The 30g SeaClear at PetCo is a decent footprint. Also check out 'Clear For Life' brand.

Sorry, no experience with felines but i do find nose prints on the 75 from our canine .

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I also don't have any experience with cats but I've had a SeaClear 50 gallon for over 3 years. I really like it and it's not as easy to scratch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK club #117
12 gallon rimless club -

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've had a Jebo R362 for like 8 years and have been very happy with it. Not sure if you could find locally in Chicago (maybe on-line) as I think they mainly supply Pacific Rim, and I got mine while still in So Cal.

A So. Cal. living in Cleveland.... for now.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
I have a Clear 4 life 90 gal and I have no complaints. Acrylic will scratch but the good thing is you can polish scratches out and it will look like brand new. I don't know about the cats scratching it because I'm not exactly a cat person so can't help you there.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode