First high tech attempt: - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
First high tech attempt:

Iím just now getting back into aquariums after a 4 year unintended break. Iím starting a high tech planted tank. This is my first attempt at high tech. Iíve only done low light Java fern and some swords before in my South American cichlid tank. I donít have that tank any more so Iím starting out in a 20 gallon long.

Right now I have a DIY CO2 setup and a Coralife dual T5 NO lamp on the tank. I just bought a used CO2 regulator set up: Victor HPT 272 dual stage regulator, Burkert solenoid, Ideal 52-1-12 needle valve and JBJ style bubble counter. For a light I also bought a used 24 inch Finex Fugeray. I know the light is short for the tank length, but it was a good price and I figured it was probably better than the Coralife and would hold me until I figured out if I need a longer fixture or not. I am dosing Flourish Excel and Flourish root tabs in the tank.

Itís been a while since Iíve gone to Petsmart. They used to have live plants in a set up with nice lighting. I went there last night to get some plants for my 20 long. When I asked where the plants are they pointed to a display and I was disappointed to see packaged plants. Half the shelf was empty. So I assume folks were buying it up as there wasnít that much left when I looked. Some of what was there was dead looking so I bought the nicest I could find. They have it there with terrarium plants so you need to read the label for fully aquatic. That said Iím pretty pleased. It looks like a nicer selection from what I remember them carrying. I bought some and just cleaned them up and planted this morning. I bought Anubias Bateri, Crpty Wendtti, Cryptocoryne undulate ďredĒ, Bacopa caroliniana, Pogostemon Helferi and some good old Java Fern, but this stuff is a thinner frillier leaf than what Iím used to seeing.
The light and regulator should arrive next week. I hope Iím on the right track, and am excited to learn. I am already thinking about doing a Iwagami style planted tank once I gain some confidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pressurized CO2& Fugeray rocks

Well it took a bit but I just set up my first high tech effort 20 gallon L. I replaced my Coralife NO lamp with a 24 inch Fugeray and added pressurized CO2 system. The light has been on for about two weeks, and I saw increased plant growth and algae. I just got the CO2 up and running, itís been running for two days, and OMG last night I came home to see my plants are so happy, they are pearling like crazy! Wohoo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CLUB MEMBER!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
BillV, sounds good! The joy of pressurized is invigorating--AND you did right by getting a nice dual stage regulator! If you haven't already, you might want to look into dry fertilizers after a while or at least the cheaper root tabs sold on the forum here.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks ipkiss, it is fun. I'm stoked. I'm using root tabs right now. I bought some Seachem root tabs, and excell, though I havent dosed that since I set up the regulator. I'm really looking forward to learning how to care for the plants, and how to make a nice scape. Right now I know my current aquascape needs some help, but its a start. Ill post a picture later.

CLUB MEMBER!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode