questions about 40g tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
questions about 40g tank

Hello all,as some of you know I am new to the forum{although I won the lurker of the year award in 2012}I always say I am not new to the hobby but in a sense I am as the great strides forward make us old timers feel like were starting over.In the 60's,70's and even the 80's the equipment,plant selection and information were old school to say the least.I now have a 40 gallon tank and have some questions and concerns that I hope you can help with.Background on the tank is,set up on 5/01/13.Cycled with the help of a friends filter media and three brave Cherry Barbs who thankfully are still with me.During that time I planted and put my hard scape together and after the parameters were right I slowly stocked the tank.Ammonia 0,nitrites0,nitrates about 15-20.I have a two bulb coralife fixture with 2x39 watt bulbs.Two aqua clear filters,70and50.Eco complete substrate.The plants were growing great but I decided to try pressurized co2 with a Milwaukee regulator and 5lb tank.This was my first time and started out with a disaster as the regulator although it does the job it does not maintain the same setting after turning off at night and upon returning from work found my 9 Cardinal Tetras and all my cory cats dead.The only survivors being my two Pearl Gourami and two Dwarf Gourami probably because they can breath from the atmosphere.I was shaken by this because I feel strongly that we have a responsibility twords anything that we take under our care from our kids to our pets.I now turn it down each day when I leave for work and reopen after I get home.This cuts about three hours off the working time but it is all I can do now.I just work three days so it is not to bad.The plants grew well and fish are growing and look healthy.I do 40-50% water change once a week and dose with flourish once a week and Macro Micro mix once a day at one t.spoon a day.premixed liquid.Now for some questions.
1 Is there a decent uncomplicated regulator out there that holds the settings after turn off and on.
2 Does my dosing regiment soung right or is it to much.I have only a little algae on the side and back panels but it is not overwhelming.
3I am going to add a Led light fixture to boost what I have and will run it about 6 hours a day.My other lights are on from 12am to 9:30pm.any problems there?
4 My parameters have gotten out of control and I think it is my fault.My PH is at the highest on the API chart 7.6 so may even be higher and is the same as my tap water.From what I have read here it is best to let it go as the fish will acclimate to it.Right or Wrong?The big one is the nitrate level has jumped to incredible 160 ppm and have lost a cory for no good reason.Much research suggests over feeding which I admit to being a weakness that I now have under control.Any other thoughts on this??Sorry for the length and thanks for any help...

Last edited by Doogy262; 11-14-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode