Gobs of questions (sorry!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
Gobs of questions (sorry!)

I need all kinds of help! I have just purchased 4 used tanks (will be picking them up this coming weekend and getting them set up next week) - and need some help with “placement” of my different fishies and how best to set up the other tanks for breeders. I have already established the following tanks (planted) and present occupants:

55g, 40g, 65g, two 29g, and 10g
Occupants (all lumped together for this post since we likely need to “rearrange” who lives where anyway):
Various types of platies and mollies, a pair of Rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia spinosa), Burmese Botia, a bunch of SAE’s, 3 or 4 small tetras, Honduran Red Point cichlids and their offspring (presently the only occupants of the 40g), one 29g full of HRP fry at ~ 3/4”, Rainbow sharks (2), 6 Rainbowfish, a pair (not yet spawning) of Cryptoheros Sajicas (T-Bar Cichlids), 10 juvie Spinosissimus (sp?) cichlids, a pair of Tuxedo Swordtails, and ghost and cherry shrimp.

Plus I will be “inheriting” these fish: one 6-7 inch Tiger Oscar, one 4 inch Red Devil, one 6 inch Pike Cichlid, one 6 inch Pleco (unknown species), and two 3 inch Silver Dollars from one person’s tank. From another person’s tank, there will be a Silver Dollar and some kind of blue and black spotted catfish (unknown species – and unknown on the size of either of these.

Other tanks coming (3 of them in two days): two 65g (same as the one that’s already established), one 90g (footprint 48x18), and one 55g (footprint 48x12). I will also be getting a few 2.5g and 5g’s for fry. With some minor exceptions, most of these will also be planted (that’s hubby’s part of this hobby!)

So some questions are:
Which tanks are best suited for the breeding of the cichlids? Which cichlids will get the best return on my investment (other than the ones I already have)? Which species of Plecos will be the best money makers (excluding zebras)? Would the 55g with two dividers in it (sponge filters with it?) be the best option for 3 pair of Plecos? I have read that it’s best to take out the fry just before the yolk sack is used up and put them in a small grow out tank (2.5g ok?) and do daily water changes. How would you guys suggest rearranging the tanks and the fish that I have as well as the ones I will be picking up this coming weekend? With the fact that 4 tanks are NOT set up yet as a factor for temporary housing as well…

Things are further complicated by the fact that I really don’t have any cycled tanks available to use when bringing home other folks fish, and am a bit scared to put them into my existing tanks endangering my established tanks and healthy fish. How long could I use something like a Rubbermaid tub while doing a “bio spira” cycle on the brand new tanks if need be? Could I use one of the new tanks with some kind of “fast cycle” using the new silver dollar and catfish that I don’t want to put in with mine yet? I could move the fish out of the 10g, and then have the 29g available for the new ones as a temp home if that would be better in the interim.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I seem to have “bought my way into a corner” so to speak, and some of these folks are moving, so I have to get the tanks picked up (leaving me with extra fish soon that need a place to live). I guess we’d best edit greatly any quotes or this will be a mile long! Sorry for the length of this original post!! I certainly appreciate any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you use Bio-Spira you can add the fish right away. In fact if you don't add fish the bacteria in the Bio-Spira will die from lack of food.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
Ok, all but two of the new fish are out. The flaky gal who WAS going to sell the 55g to me along with the oscar, rd, pike, silver dollars, and pleco - just sold it right out from under me after I had told her that I wanted it (geesh, some people!). So that eliminates several fish and one tank. Plus we've decided just to clone the tanks (I only mentioned the "how do I?" in the original post because I "thought" that we ended up with spikes anyway, but hubby says we didn't - so we'll happily clone the tanks). So those questions/issues are off the table now.

Because I rearranged a couple of tanks last night (the rainbow cichlids were just about to bless me with eggs in the tank that we're taking down to replace with the 90g - so I scrambled to rearrage tank occupants so the happy family now has one of the 29g to themselves). The current occupants and tanks available for "rearranging" are down to (and please keep in mind that I'm still looking for the right cichlids and plecos to breed):
Two 65g, one 90g, one 30g, two 10g, one 5g, and two 2.5g available.
Various types of platies and mollies, Burmese Botia, a bunch of SAE’s, 3 or 4 small tetras, Rainbow sharks (2), 6 Rainbowfish, a pair (not yet spawning) of Cryptoheros Sajicas (T-Bar Cichlids), 10 juvie Spinosissimus (sp?) cichlids, a pair of Tuxedo Swordtails, and ghost and cherry shrimp, a Silver Dollar and some kind of blue and black spotted catfish.

These questions remain:
Which tanks are best suited for the breeding of the cichlids (wanting two species if possible)? Which cichlids will get the best return on my investment (other than the ones I already have)? Which species of Plecos will be the best money makers (excluding zebras) and I'm hoping for 2-3 types? Would the 55g with two dividers in it (sponge filters with it?) be the best option for 3 pair of Plecos? I have read that it’s best to take out the fry just before the yolk sack is used up and put them in a small grow out tank (2.5g ok?) and do daily water changes. How would you guys suggest rearranging the tanks and the fish that I have as well as the ones I am planning on breeding (yet unknown)?

Thanks for your answers and time!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode