Help me Plan a Room? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help me Plan a Room?

I have a dining area, 3 empty walls, wife says she would tolerate fish tanks there. As you can see from attached image, I have alot of room to work with. Each of the 3 walls has an electric outlet. And this dining area is 20 feet or so from the kitchen sink, so water changes should be real easy. Seems ideal to me. Only fish tanks I like are planted tanks, and SA Cichlid communities. I have plenty of room for several tanks in this room. Should I build a shelf of some sort on the 11 1/2 foot wall and put 3-4 tanks there? Is there some cool way to hang lights over the top of the tanks from the ceiling? What would you do? Have any pics or links with some ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

I say decide what kind of tank you want and get one large tank like an 8ft tank
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Would it behoove me to, instead, have 2-3 tanks? It seems like it'd be nice to have a tank that is like a kind of nursery, and then take plants out of that to design a "display" tank? And where is a good place to order tanks to be delivered? glasscages.com? Any other sources for tanks?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Planted Member

would you really want utility tanks next to your display tank in the dining room? I would also go for one big one. like a 220g.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
There is more to it than just throwing in tanks where you have space. First off, what are the dimensions of the table. Its not listed. Typically you want to give yourself a 3' walkway clearance on any walking path. Second, check your circuits. One tank is feasible for sure. Multiple tanks may require a new circuit to be run. Is that area on a 15amp or a 20amp breaker? If you use the existing circuit without running new lines, total up all the amps on that circuit. 15amp=1800w and 20amp =2400w. Commercial wise you can only load a circuit at 80%. For precaution, I do the same for home. The max rating is based on 90mins of continuous use though. Is your house pier and beam or slab? Are there any windows on any of the walls?

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've never had a planted tank before. I don't think I have the skill/experience to make an 8 ft. tank attractive. Maybe start smaller?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin_cajun View Post
I've never had a planted tank before. I don't think I have the skill/experience to make an 8 ft. tank attractive. Maybe start smaller?
Sometimes going bigger can be easier. You can always rescape your tank as you gain experience with it. You will be surprised by what you can do with a large tank over time. There are some very nice setups and you can get great ideas from them. Check out the link to see what I am referring to.
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was gonna put the tank(s) against the wall on stands, not on the table. None of the walls has a window. All 3 outlets are on one circuit. I could put them on different circuits of the need arose. The house is on a slab. OH, the flooring is brick, a little bumpy. I'd need to put a mat or something under the stand so it'd make good contact with the floor?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Planted Member

for any tank, and even more so as you go bigger, level surfaces are key. the point about the walking space is also important. if its in the way you will run into it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

It really depends on what you want. If you want to practice aquascaping, I would say that multiple tanks would help you achieve that goal. You could have a big tank and several smaller ones, shoot, if you're as obsessed with this as I am, you could surround yourself with tanks!......What a good way to enjoy dinner!

As for a plant nursery, I say, start an emersed setup somewhere more hidden to grow out plants....unless you scape your emersed tank!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
—KV

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode