Planted set up, and needing IDs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted set up, and needing IDs

I just turned this 10gal into a planted tank. I recently found out the 1st two plants I bought were glosso and java fern (as some of you may have read in a different thread). I got 2 more plants tonight. LFS didn't even have a name on them. Just a picture and price.

What are these stem plants? It was $1.89 a bunch. I got two bunches.

I'm assuming this one's some type of sword?? This was $3.38

(Note: I didn't realize the glosso was covered by the sword until after this pic was taken. I'll fix that. This was a pic of the side of my tank that faces towards the wall. That's why I didn't see it right away).

Here's how I planted the glosso before I was told that they needed to be planted individually

Here it is after

Here's the java fern...(note: the goldie was moved to a different tank)

Here's a full tank shot

I plan to add DIY CO2. I will be upgrading the lighting, but not quite yet. In the meant time I will add tin foil to the top of a lights to act as reflectors.

There are no fish in this tank right now. I may add some feeder guppies, ghost shrimp, and otos later. Substrate is plain sand. Lighting are two 15watt flourescent fixures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Nice start. That java fern should be attached to something, rock or driftwood. That first picture looks like bacopa.

https://www.plantedtank.net/plantprof...monnieri/1039/

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
I forgot.... what are you specs? Lighting, co2? Any other fish in there?

Nice to see another Michigander on the forum!

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
First plant looks like Lysimachia nummularia to me.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 PM

You may find that your Glosso will grow/spread quicker if you trimmed the bottom portion just below the top leaf node (maybe 1/4 inch below) and replanted it so that the leaves are just above the substrate. That usually gets it to root & spread quicker.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowagon View Post
First plant looks like Lysimachia nummularia to me.
i second that
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipnoy85 View Post
Lighting,
two 15watt flourescent fixures

Quote:
co2?
none yet. Will be making a DIY co2 unit. How many bubbles per minute would I need?

Quote:
Any other fish in there?
No fish yet. Will be adding feeder guppies and ghost shrimp. Maybe some otos or other plant friendly algae eaters.

Do any of my plants need ferts? If so would ones need the ferts and what ferts do I get? This is my first planted tank.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 PM

Those sword plants would probably like some sort of substrate fertilization (root tabs, etc.) since they are heavy root-feeders. Most aquatic plants will benefit from fertilization, but some plants don't really require much of anything to grow (java moss for example). I assume you are fairly new to planted tanks? It may be a good idea to start familiarizing yourself with fertilizer nomenclature & different types of dosing & routines. Searching this forum will yield days worth of information for you to learn from.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:21 AM

PTrader: (70/99%)
The sword appears to have been grown emmersed, so the leaves may die back slowly and new leaves grow in the submearsed form. Also it may get very large.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasko View Post
Those sword plants would probably like some sort of substrate fertilization (root tabs, etc.) since they are heavy root-feeders. Most aquatic plants will benefit from fertilization
What type of sword do I have? What types of ferts does it need?

Quote:
I assume you are fairly new to planted tanks?
Correct.

Quote:
It may be a good idea to start familiarizing yourself with fertilizer nomenclature & different types of dosing & routines. Searching this forum will yield days worth of information for you to learn from.
I've been looking through the threads. I need to figure out what kind of sword I have so I know what ferts to use.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Update: I made the CO2 system. It isn't producing any CO2 yet. I just set it up a cople minutes ago. When can I expect co2?

Here's a link to the thread showing my reaction chamber design.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...e-diy-co2.html
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Your CO2...Just give it time check on it tommarow it should be on its way to giving you co2.

Your sword could be a melon sword, Ferts are just plain old root tabs that you can get at pet smart or your Local fish store. just push it under the plant and leave it alone. sword plants don't like to be moved.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramirezi View Post
Your CO2...Just give it time check on it tommarow it should be on its way to giving you co2.

Your sword could be a melon sword, Ferts are just plain old root tabs that you can get at pet smart or your Local fish store. just push it under the plant and leave it alone. sword plants don't like to be moved.
Thanks Ram! I keep looking online and through my plant books but all the swords start looking alike after awaile. I'm worried about the sword growing big and covering the glosso. I think its going to be moved into a different tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

another question: I see lots of liquid ferts at my lfs in 10oz containers. Do liquid ferts burn the plant roots? I know in house plants they do.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:51 AM

No, your plant's roots will not get burned. Aquatic plants absorb nutrients through their roots AND their leaf structures. So dosing fertilizer into the water column supplies nutrients for the plants to absorb directly from the water column. Not all plants absorb nutrients the same way, or with the same root/leaf absorbtion ratio. But sword plants are one of the most voracious root-feeders that are in the hobby

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode