I'm new here and new to aquatic plants as well. I'm not one that has a "green thumb", but I'd like to try out a planted tank.
I just got a 10gal from a friend that wasn't using it any more. I have a mystery snail in a 5gal right now and would like to move him over once its setup, planted, and cycled. Possibly may be adding some shrimp as well.
The tank is just a tank. No hood, lights, filter, etc. I do happen to have a Marina S10 Slim HOB that I got on sale even though I didn't have the need for one (glad I did!).
I have a few questions for a newbie:
1) What are some easy, slow growing plants for a newbie to start with?
2) What kind of lighting will I need?
3) Should I get a hood?
4) What substrate is suggested? I have some left over sand and gravel from the 5gal.
5) Is CO2 or fertilizer needed?
6) I usually go higher on my filters than what is called for. If I add a small internal filter in addition to the HOB, is that too much filtration for plants?
I've always loved the natural look of a planted tank, so I'd like to give it a shot. Figured if I do well in a 10gal, I'll upgrade to a larger tank and then add some schooling fish.
Any info would be awesome!