HELP! <0.4 wpg! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP! <0.4 wpg!

My current dual t8 48" went out. I am waiting 3 days for a new T5HO dual 120watt light fixture to arrive. I used to run 2wpg but as of recently I am at 0.4 wpg.

Am I safe to assume this is why my xmas moss is looking brown?

Also curious question for another tank I have. It runs 1wpg with low light plants. Is it fair to assume adding a 2wpg setup would create rapid growth or slightly speed up process?

Both tanks are in perfect water conditions and 55gallons.

Main plants are xmas moss, flame moss, anubias, ludwig,and java ferns.

Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Kind in mind that lighting is only part of the equation, and that "watts per gallon" doesn't work so well anymore (read https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368). The "0.4 wpg" probably will be fine for a few days though the plants may not respond well at first.

You have some fairly slow growing species as it is so even with a bump in lighting that wont necessarily mean you'll have a jungle. Also, too much light without proper CO2 or fertilization wont make for a happy planted tank, usually happy algae.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So doubling wattage won't help? I'm not really interested in measuring the color or light. I'm studying for a CCAR so I do not have that kind of time. If there is no general rule of thumb then I'm going to be hopeless.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

The charts a little simplified and maybe a bit outdated now, but still a good guide. You have some pretty undemanding plants so I wouldn't go past "low" or "medium"

Lighting is like the driver of your planted tank. With more light your plants have a higher demand for CO2 and nutrients...so in a sense, no, doubling wattage wont help unless you fulfill your plants others needs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post

The charts a little simplified and maybe a bit outdated now, but still a good guide. You have some pretty undemanding plants so I wouldn't go past "low" or "medium"

Lighting is like the driver of your planted tank. With more light your plants have a higher demand for CO2 and nutrients...so in a sense, no, doubling wattage wont help unless you fulfill your plants others needs.
Yep and I'm not spending 300+ on a co2 system so good game
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's kind of rude just dismissing all the information you're being handed after asking for help.

Lights are required for plants, it's the Catalyst for growth along with nutrients and minimal algae.
The proper lighting for the right situation is necessary.

Low light plants are good with low lighting, T8 shop fixtures are plenty for a 55 with anything up to medium light honestly in my opinion.

And the CO2 system could be as simple as the DIY method with some 2 liter bottles, some sugar water and yeast. Drop checker and bubble counter would be smart.

if you wish to have high light as in a display tank most likely, Co2 will become a necessity no matter the method.

Best of luck, and I hope some of this has helped.

Emersed Tub Club #27
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
That's kind of rude just dismissing all the information you're being handed after asking for help.

Quote:
Lights are required for plants, it's the Catalyst for growth along with nutrients and minimal algae.
The proper lighting for the right situation is necessary.
The wall of text I was provided went through some good information, I will give you that... Then said oh and by the way to do this, $139 (hehehe use my link hehehe). Then said well there is a $20 way but... shipping... and got to calibrate.... and.... and....

It's not being rude saying I do not have time to study how light works in that deep of detail. Reflection, depth, density, etc. I do not have the time or willingness to do this. Sorry, I just can't.

Quote:
Low light plants are good with low lighting, T8 shop fixtures are plenty for a 55 with anything up to medium light honestly in my opinion.

And the CO2 system could be as simple as the DIY method with some 2 liter bottles, some sugar water and yeast. Drop checker and bubble counter would be smart.

if you wish to have high light as in a display tank most likely, Co2 will become a necessity no matter the method.
I've heard CO2 DIY is the way to go but again do not want to invest the time in researching all components needed or leave a 2liter bottle on my floor much less any where visible. I would prefer a complete though-out system but thats where the $100+ comment comes in.

Everyone says the Nutrafin or other systems are trash and require $10 a month to keep running.

Quote:

Appreciate all your info and time posting on this thread. I apologize my request for a quick fix is not feasible. I understand, lightning and nutrients can get very detailed quickly. I should have been more upfront about specific shortened details with quick link/price.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-01-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

DIY is very limited by tank size...otherwise you're running tons of bottles and it becomes a hassle very quickly.

Excel can be a nice "substitution" but can be a bit expensive on a 55g if you're doing the full dose. If you're careful glutaraldehyde (essentially the main ingredient) can curb the costs. A carbon supplement might help the plants make better use of what you're providing them.

Low tech tanks can be a bit more of a puzzle since you're not able to just pump up the lighting/CO2/ferts to an extreme. From the sounds of it, your tanks are doing fine outside of the light going out. I say if it aint broke dont fix it. Slow growth is just a tradeoff of having a lower maintenance setup.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Low tech tanks can be a bit more of a puzzle since you're not able to just pump up the lighting/CO2/ferts to an extreme. From the sounds of it, your tanks are doing fine outside of the light going out. I say if it aint broke dont fix it. Slow growth is just a tradeoff of having a lower maintenance setup.
Thanks Jpappy. Once I get my new fixture I will be using two 54watt T5 HO. So this is just about 2WPG. If I have algae issues I can always run just one bulb which would be 1WPG. I can play with it and see which gives algae or creates plant issues. I currently got a cheap shop fixture to sit on top so I can make it the couple of days. Slow growth sucks but I guess once I finally get there... it will be nice.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ThomasAnderson.

I didn't mean to attack you, Just felt as if the responses provided were, less than appreciative.

I think that you could easily run with just cheap shop lights if you wanted, regular 30 watt range T8 I'm assuming?

As for the DIY co2, 3 bottles, few feet of airline, a few packets of dry yeast, a few pounds of sugar, and some mildly warm water. Other than that, a drop checker isn't required but it is a cheap and good accessory. air stone for easy cheap diffuser.

Mix 3/4- 2 cups of sugar with roughly equal parts water, add in a teaspoon or so of yeast. multiple bottles could be used in rotation. using that recipe I'm on the last few days of a month of decent Co2 out of 2 bottles.

more yeast faster reaction, less yeast slower longer lasting reaction.

and it would be very easy to conceal the bottles in a box if aesthetics are an issue.

Oh and also, Ebay, Amazon, local Store used equipment sections. these are great places to find a cheaper decent CO2 system for a much more agreeable price.

and as for the lighting issue, Have you considered just keeping the Shoplights running to see how well they perform?

Hope to have provided some useful information.

Emersed Tub Club #27

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode