Styrofoam under tank or not? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: OKlahoma
Posts: 143
Styrofoam under tank or not?

Well I am setting up another 125 gallon the other one popped the rear seam.

Will fix that latter on.

But I am leveling the stand as close to level as I can.

Should I add Styrofoam under the tank also on top on stand?

The top is 3/4 inch MDF so a solid surface and the whole base sits on it.

So lets hear some opinions, as I do not want another, like last Saturday of removing a 125 Gallon set up at 12:30 in the AM. from a leak.

Might mention I have the foam white and about 3/4 to an inch thick.

But can return it.

Thanks all.

Jeff
Sgtreef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtreef View Post

So lets hear some opinions, as I do not want another, like last Saturday of removing a 125 Gallon set up at 12:30 in the AM. from a leak.
This is going to give me nightmares.

Sorry, no opinions regarding styrofoam. I hope someone answers as my 150 is empty so there's still time for me to put it under mine.
Seedreemer is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stoney Creek
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtreef View Post
Well I am setting up another 125 gallon the other one popped the rear seam.

Will fix that latter on.

But I am leveling the stand as close to level as I can.

Should I add Styrofoam under the tank also on top on stand?

The top is 3/4 inch MDF so a solid surface and the whole base sits on it.

So lets hear some opinions, as I do not want another, like last Saturday of removing a 125 Gallon set up at 12:30 in the AM. from a leak.

Might mention I have the foam white and about 3/4 to an inch thick.

But can return it.

Thanks all.

Jeff
It is one of those things that have been debated forever. Based on my searches you'll come up with conflicting answers. It comes down to your tank manufacturer. There will be some that say yes, use it and others that will say it will void your warranty. Not all tanks are built the same so it isn't a blanket one size fits all answer. Personally my previous 200G reef tank did NOT have foam under it. However my 21G rimless starfire planted has a yoga mat under it.

Sorry for the non answer but you're going to have to get guidance from your tank mfg.
poverty is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,994
No matter what the debate, a gasket between to heavy objects will always aide in leveling.

I like things like yoga matts & Laminate Floor pad foam. Both relatively cheap. I feel they work better than styrofoam.
DogFish is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North NJ
Posts: 754
I would level the floor to make the stand level not put something in between the stand and tank.
mach_six is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 11,721
I use 1/2" Styrofoam under all the tanks. Evens out any inconsistency between tank and stand. Adds some insulation under the tank. (Many of my stands are open frame- a box on legs). I do not use as smooth a lumber as MDF, though.
Diana is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: OKlahoma
Posts: 143
Sorry for the late reply here folks but I did add the foam, seems to be alright so far.

Tank is still a tad out of level but close so left alone.

Top of stand is 5/8 MDF.

Will see.

Jeff
Sgtreef is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
flight50's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: dfw
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtreef View Post
Sorry for the late reply here folks but I did add the foam, seems to be alright so far.

Tank is still a tad out of level but close so left alone.

Top of stand is 5/8 MDF.

Will see.

Jeff
I am not sure if you have ever used MDF before but around a fish tank, is asking for trouble. You can attempt to seal it as best you can but if that seal wears down, that MDF is toast. I would use plywood and plywood only around a fish tank.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flight50 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome