New to Plantedtank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
New to Plantedtank

i posted this on another page but i think it was probally the wrong page.....anyways

Im new to this forum, actually this is the first forum i have ever joined. I love fishtanks, and i have always had them, all the ones in the past were very small, other then the 40gal i had a few years ago that i miss so much...but now i have just a 30gal tank. in this tank i have
10 checkerd barbs
6 oto cats
1 candy stripe pleco
1 ghost shrimp
i had more ghost shrimp but they were old when i got them so i only have one left. This is the first tank that i have ever had that is planted. i actually just got it planted about a month ago. got rid of all the fake plants and put all real in. for plants i have
a very little ricci
hornwort
water sprite
a tiny java fern
java moss
and 2 types of grasses
everytime i tryed to look up info about plants on google it would bring me here so i figured i would join.
What i want to do with my tank is add top swimming fish and get a "masterpiece" fish. and idk what to get for a top swimming fish that will get along with the barbs, i had long fin platys but i didnt like them much, my barbs didnt fin nip at all tho, any ideas for a school for the top? also for a masterpiece fish i am thinking one of the huge king bettas, idk if its a good or bad idea. i am also thinking of adding 1 bamboo shrimp and a group of easy shrimp at some point idk. any thoughts? Thanks where im new to all of this any ideas and tips ill take
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you're wanting a sort of top swimming school of fish I'd ditch the barbs, simply because barbs are terrors and love to nip fins. If it were my tank I'd go with a school of either cardinal tetras, or rummy nose tetras... Rummy nose tetras are better than any test kit on the market because the brightness of their red faces are the first sign of any water issues you may encounter.

The brighter the red coloration on the rummy nose tetras face is the better you water parameters are, and if you notice their faces starting to fade in color it means you have an issue. This is why people will put a school of them in a Discus tank.

Bettas are touch and go because just like people they differ from one to the other, meaning one may attack other fish, and another doesn't care fo the other fish. So it's always hit or miss with Bettas.

As for a center piece fish, hove you ever thought about a pair of Yellow Convict Cichlids?

Unlike black convict cichlids, the yellow convict is a more docile species of convict cichlids.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yellow convict cichlid? LOL I want one!! Anyway...

You can also try Rams as a centerpiece. A pair of bolivians or german blues look incredible. Bolivian rams have a very nice red hue to them and are hardier that the GBR which are more colorful and a bit smaller. You could try for the harder to find Apistogrammas which look... well, stunning IMO. In case you don't know, all of these are dwarf cichlids which are much more docile than your typical cichlids.

As Underated mentioned, bettas are hit or miss but a nice halfmoon would be so awesome. Another warning about them though, they are predatory fish and may or may not hunt your shrimp (actually, the dwarf cichlids too). Also a hit or miss thing. Not to try and scare you off of bettas, which are great fish, but you should know the risks that come with them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks, as i said i am new to the whole planted tank thing ( as in the website and an actual planted tank,) so i am sure i will have alot of questions lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode