Vivariums, animals, and holidays - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Vivariums, animals, and holidays

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of vivariums and as soon as I found out about them I knew this would be a hobby I would like. I've been doing plenty of research until I realised something very important - how can I keep pets, particularly vivarium pets that need special equipment and food and so on, if I go on holiday?

Looking around I think my options are limited, but I wanted to ask the question here to get answers from those who are more experienced. I care very much about the quality of life of any pets I own and so I want to ensure that if I go on holiday they would receive the same quality of life as they normally would - either that or I don't get the pet in the first place. I go to Holland every year for about a week or two and taking a vivarium of any kind would be very impractical. I don't know any people that would be able to care for the vivarium - they would feed and provide water but I never like to leave pets with those that don't or can't provide the best care. So here are my questions:

1) Are there any vivarium animals that largely take care of themselves once they have the tank properly set up? Or who cant take care of themselves comfortably for many weeks?
2) Do you have any suggestions for my situation? What do you guys do when you go on holiday?
3) This might sound like a strange question but... are planted vivariums - as in one without animals - kept by anyone on this forum? Have you ever heard of this? I have heard of planted aquariums. Even if I can't keep the animals, I love the terrariums and paludariums for their plant life and scenery, it would look nice at my house. I know that keeping pets is half the hobby but I still think a planted vivarium would be cool. Of course, animals are part of the ecosystem and their effects on it would have to be compensated for, does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank and Reply

The information that which you have shared is very nice and your research facts are justifying your work.

Yes, they manage themselves once they get a properly set up tank. You can't leave them alone for long as there is risk of dirtiness and water may get toxic.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode