upgrading filter, need some advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
upgrading filter, need some advice

Planning on going from my emporer 400 to a canister filter on my 75 gallon. Was thinking of sticking with marilneland c series. The 360 says it is rated for the 75 gallon, but only 360 gph sounds slow. How much gph should I be looking for in a canister on a 75? Anyone have experience with these?

Probably should have asked in equipment thread, would still like recommendations for filtering this tank. It is viewable from either side, hence the move to canister, but don't want to waste money doing it wrong. I hear a lot about 10x gph, but 750 gph sounds a bit much, and you are lucky if the canisters ratings by the manufacturer and you are lucky to get 3x turnover per hour

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stanjam; 08-29-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ive found that most filters are about half of what they say, roughly. Don't know much about the marineland as i have focused mostly on eheim and fluval. I would go bigger no matter what you choose.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I run an eheim 2075 on my 75 gallon which is 1250 L/h or 330 gl/h and does amazing at keeping the tank clean. I can pull up a bunch of plants and the water will get super dirty (dirt based tank) and in two hours it's almost crystal clear again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would go with a Rena xp3(API filstar L). Lots of media capacity,quiet,and plenty of flow for a 75g.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, decided on the marineland c series 360. Liked the design. They state 360 gph, and if that isn't enough flow I can add on my hot magnum 250 on the side so it doesn't obstruct the view.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Algae Grower

I would use 2 or more filters. On my 75 gallon, one filter had a slow leak, took it off-line for repairs, no worries because the other filters took care of my tank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi sadchevy,

After seeing videos of some of our fish and plant species in their natural environments and listening to Christel Kasselmann describe some of her plant expeditions I like a lot of circulation in my tanks, for example I run:

45 gallon tank = 550 gph + ugf
30 gallon tank = 220 gph + ugf (will be adding an 150 gph HOB)
20 gallon tank = 160 gph (will be adding 200 gph HOB)
10 gallon tank = 100 gph

I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon as well. I have two (2) Marineland 350 Magnums sitting in the cabinet and will be adding an HOB for a total of 1200 gph.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 08-30-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: sp
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi sadchevy,

After seeing videos of some of our fish and plant species in their natural environments and listening to Christel Kasselmann describe some of her plant expeditions I like a lot of circulation in my tanks, for example I run:

45 gallon tank = 550 gph + ugf
30 gallon tank = 220 gph + ugf (will be adding an 150 gph HOB)
20 gallon tank = 160 gph (will be adding 200 gph HOB)
10 gallon tank = 100 gph

I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon as well. I have two (2) Marineland 350 Magnums sitting in the cabinet and will be adding an HOB for a total of 1200 gph.
That is a lot! I have visions of a plant vortex!

Seriously, thanks though. I think what I will end up with is the 360 and the 250 working in concert, if I can tame the outflow on the magnum 250.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I generally aim for about 10 x the tank volume in water movement. This can be from a combination of filters and powerheads, and is based on what the manufacturer states is the flow, so right there, I know I am not getting 10x. Still, it is a number to aim at.

On my 72 bowfront I have a sump with 300 gph and an Aquaclear 100, and a Koralia 1250 (old style). So, if you add up the numbers this tank has 2000 gph of water movement. Sure does not seem like it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode