Can't understand this - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't understand this

Well I have been dosing EI for a couple of months now, started it just to see if it would make growth better and it is cheaper then buying all the bootles of liquids.

CO2 levels constant. Plants start bubbling with in an hour+ of lights coming on, and continue after CO2 is shut down for the last hour of lights.

Fish happy and plants are growing well. Not super, super fast but they are slow growers.

Problem is holes in leaves and leaves falling off.

C02 and Light schedule.

Co2 comes on one hour before lights
Lights on 150 watts for 8 hours
Co2 shuts off 1 hour before lights out

EI
M, W, F, S
3/4 TSP KNO3 (previously 1/2 tsp but thought maybe too little is the problem)
1/4 tsp Kh2Po4(previously 1/8 tsp but thought maybe too little is the problem)

T,Th, Sun 1/4tsp CSM Plantex
10 ml Fe dosed once a week

Tank is a 90cm / 45 cm / 45cm

pictures attached of plants and leaves.

Based on what I am doing things should be going well, but ever couple of day I have a net full of leaves to collect which are floating at the top of the tank, and the leaves have all these holes.

Tanks has been running well for a while, and no sudden changes It is actually a 3 year old tank that was slowly converted to a planted tank and then a higher tech planted tank.

Temp constants 26 degrees.

any help appreciated

For pics:
AquaticQuotient.com
AquaticQuotient.com
AquaticQuotient.com
AquaticQuotient.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Might need a bit more K...

Sergio C.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From what I am dosing in a 50 G tank, shouldn't the K levels be fine?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 03:31 PM

You can dose as much K as you want without harm to your plants. Try dosing it alone on top of your regular regime and see what happens. Can't hurt. I dose Potassium at every water change.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
It sound like a potassium (K) defficiency. Your potassium nitrate(KNO3) is for nitrates but you do get the added little bit of K. Your Mono Potassium Phosphate (K2PO4) is for your phosphates which also doses a little K. Try adding a little Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) It wouldn't hurt anything.

Spread the word...

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
If the leaves have holes and are falling off, I've always attributed this to K deficiency, although it may be something else. You might want to check in the Plant section. I think there's a list of symptoms and the probable cause.
I can't view your pictures. It seems that I need to log in to view them. You might try Photobucket. It's free and you can post either direct links to the picture or the picture itself right in the body of the message. Good luck.
-Ryan

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 06:32 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Go buy some Seachem Potassium from your LFS and dose according to the directions along with your current fert schedule. See if there is a difference. Since Potassium is already being added with the KNO3 and KH2PO4 you wont need to add that much.

I think the additional Potassium will help.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
You could also buy a lb(pound) of K2So4 from gregwatson.com and it'll last for years. Only costs around $8 + shipping I believe.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
More like $8 shipped at most.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Problem is only in Hygrophila. Has been for months. Great new growth on it but just can't keep leaves. On the bottom of the plant new leaves are constantly being formed, but many bigger are falling off. Most larger leaves have holes and look like the picture I state, smaller new leaves have great color and no problems, grow then develop problems.

C02 level I know is fine, and increasing it more I can't see helping as the plants are growing (as some people on other forums suggested), many of the other plant growing fast as expected in a well fert and high CO2 tank, just these leaf problems on Hygrophila (if that is what it is)

Could it really be Ca or Mg lack. " holes in leave is a K (potassium) deficiency and will show in the older leaves, though Mg (magnesium) overdose might block K uptake as well. Mg deficiency will show yellow old leaves. Ca (calcium) will show crumbled new leaves."

Or should I be adding Mg and Ca? (more things to add)

Plantex CSM+ is a Micro Nutrient Trace Mix.

Regular CSM CSM+B Mix
Fe 7.0% 6.53%
Mn 2.0% 1.87%
Mg 1.5% 1.40%
Zn 0.4% 0.37%
Cu 0.1% 0.09%
Mo 0.05% 0.05%
B 0.0% 1.18%
Co 0.0% 0.00%
Is this correct? If so then I have Mg being added and I don't seem to have symptoms of lack of Ca.

I am in Taiwan so the price of shipping will be a lot more than that, but I will look for Seachem K here and try adding that to see. I just thought my levels of K would be fine as there is growth and pearling and all other plants are and have been fine, only that type.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode