120g put on hold - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
120g put on hold

If this should be in the lounge, please move it.

I have had to put my purchase of the 120g on hold for a few more months...our 1994 ford tempo (yes we still have one) threw the harmonic balancer..I think is the correct name..(thing that attaches to the crank shaft)...if the crank shaft is not warped do to this, we are setting ok, and it will only be a few more months down the road...if it is warped, it will be around this time next yr before we can get the 120g. I will use this time to research different plants and decor I want in the tank...and purchase the decor a little at a time before the tank is set up.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers (that it is just the harmonic balancer).

Suzie Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Q View Post
If this should be in the lounge, please move it.

I have had to put my purchase of the 120g on hold for a few more months...our 1994 ford tempo (yes we still have one) threw the harmonic balancer..I think is the correct name..(thing that attaches to the crank shaft)...if the crank shaft is not warped do to this, we are setting ok, and it will only be a few more months down the road...if it is warped, it will be around this time next yr before we can get the 120g. I will use this time to research different plants and decor I want in the tank...and purchase the decor a little at a time before the tank is set up.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers (that it is just the harmonic balancer).

Suzie Q
Why not go with a smaller tank?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it was YOUR dream to get a 120g, would YOU want to settle for a 55? I'm not sure if that's exactly Suzie Q's reason, but it would be MY reason for waiting.

Suzie, have you checked craigslist? I would be watching for some cheap or free large tanks on craigslist if I were in your situation. They pop up fairly frequently in Seattle, duno about texas - or where in texas...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangala View Post
If it was YOUR dream to get a 120g, would YOU want to settle for a 55? I'm not sure if that's exactly Suzie Q's reason, but it would be MY reason for waiting.

Suzie, have you checked craigslist? I would be watching for some cheap or free large tanks on craigslist if I were in your situation. They pop up fairly frequently in Seattle, duno about texas - or where in texas...
Well, my DREAM tank is 500g (don't think I am ready for that yet). (how many of these things can I put on here?)
I would have been happy with a 55g until we decided on the 120g...now only the 120g will do.
I have not heard of "graigslist"...all of the searching online, and having the tank delivered would cost a small fortune...I can pick one up at Petsmart for $300 (I was suprized also!).
I called the autoparts store that I got the harmonic thing from, and they are going to replace it for free (Thank God for warranties!), so just a few weeks off track now!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
IMO, if you have other expenses right now, you should just put it on hold for a few months. Either that, or buy the equipment slowly and piece-by-piece, so it isn't all at once. I had to do this with my 90g, as the entire purchase + equipment, substrate, lighting, plants, etc would have been hard to swallow in one shot.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram View Post
IMO, if you have other expenses right now, you should just put it on hold for a few months. Either that, or buy the equipment slowly and piece-by-piece, so it isn't all at once. I had to do this with my 90g, as the entire purchase + equipment, substrate, lighting, plants, etc would have been hard to swallow in one shot.
I have been doing that for the last month...I have the filter, UV sterilizer on its way, getting eco-complete 20lb bag(know it is a little more expensive than the others, but I am VERY new to aqu. plants, and this will be easier for me to use)..also using it for my 6g and maybe for my 10g if I set it up for shrimp...I really think I have THE fever!!!

Next on my list will be two heaters (putting one heater at each end)...what thoughts on this?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Q View Post
I have not heard of "graigslist"...all of the searching online, and having the tank delivered would cost a small fortune...I can pick one up at Petsmart for $300 (I was suprized also!).
Its craiglist.org and is an online classifieds place and everything is aranged by area - meaning you can just look for local sales. Search for 'aquarium' and also 'fish tank' as some may call it one or another. Are you looking for a 4' or 6' tank? Another good place to get tanks is glasscages.com and they seem to be much higher quality than what you'll find at petsmart. You can also check thier websites for the shows/deleviry locations... they may be in your area and you pay much less for shipping. If you dont mind a long skinnier tank thier 135g is a good deal at $270. Ahh it must have just went up, just a couple weeks ago it was cheaper but still a good price on a nice tank.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

sorry crazy loaches...my brain said it WAS a "C".

Is that an albino dojo loach as your avatar? I had a gray one "Lurch". I gave my tank to a friend (later got it back), and he quit eating...he ended up dying because I could not drive to the next town everyday to feed him. When I did come, he would eat for me. I am getting another when I get my tank.

"If you dont mind a long skinnier tank"...do you mean like 6 ft long...24in high and less than 18in deep? We looked at a 125 long, and it is ALOT shorter than the regular 120g. We want a LONG, TALL, SKINNY tank...I know...in my dreams!

I will ck out craigslist.org when I get home from work.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
these are the prices fom glass cages.
125 Gal. 72 x 24 x 17 $315
135 Gal. 72 x 18 x 24 $270
i guess its basicly which on you prefer long and wide or long and tall.
if you can get a tank from these guys you'll get your moneys worth
there tanks will last forever.
heres a link to there site. Glasscages.com - Home / News
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 03:13 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah the 135 seems like the better deal although I like thier 4' 120g but still the 135 is about the best deal on thier site. I dont know why they have jacked their prices though, twice in under a year. Last summer thier 240G was like ~$450, I just bought one a couple weeks ago and it was $495 now they must have just raised it since its $540 but still cheaper than my lfs and better quality. They can also make just about anything custom - so its a great resource for odd sizes for any dream tank.

Suzie Q yeah thats a golden dojo, not sure if it has anything to do with albino I think its just a color varient is all. Here are a couple pics you may like if you like dojos:

[Click them to get bigger pics]
This is the one I used in the avatar.

Check that one too! I wonder what they are doing in there?

And here is an up close head shot, sorry dont have a thumbnail and I am feeling lazy, click here.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode