Plants for a low-tech nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants for a low-tech nano

Hi all,

I was wondering what plants might do well with a 2.5 gallon Red Sea AquaVase. It comes with a small HOB filter and a 7W light. I don't think it comes with a heater, which I believe I'll need. Any suggestions on a tiny heater?

I don't plan on dosing ferts, CO2 or changing the light. The substrate will be a very old bag of Eco Complete. I do plan on making 50% water changes every week. The only inhabitant will be a dwarf puffer.

Here's a picture of what I'm planning:

I've chosen Bacopa for a background plant, but if there are suggestions or comments to that, I'd love to hear it! I'm going to tie down Lace Java Ferns on driftwood for the sides, and Anubias Nana on driftwood for the centerpiece. As for the foreground, I really need some help. I can't come up with anything that can survive in low-light and without CO2 or ferts.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Any thoughts?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There aren't many foreground plants that require low light levels, are there? I can't wait to see the outcome of your nano tank.

I cannot offer much advice on plants however I wish you good luck in setting the tank up.

~Lupester

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Though it is considered as a higher light plant, you could try HC/ Hemianthus callitrichoides in the foreground. I have it growing - albeit slowly - in less wpg to what you'll have. Marsilea species could do very well too! Also Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) should do well... though might become too high for your foreground?

Maybe you could put some root tabs for the plants even though you are not going to fertilize otherwise? I think any foreground plant would love that.

For other plant suggestions, maybe my will give you some ideas.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! That list is great! I actually have HC in my 12 gallon, but I've yet to see it start growing. It's been planted for about a week and a half now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you - great that you liked the list!

Other things that come to mind about your plan: Maybe not tie all Java fern on wood? How about having the other side on the wood, the other on stones? Having it on both sides might make the scene a bit too symmetrical... but you'll see it better once you actually execute the plan. In that case, maybe change the places of the Anubias and the other of the ferns. Or maybe replace the other fern with some rocks/ tiny pieces of wood with some moss, say Fissidens fontanus, on them? You could have a moss foreground too (but then most of the plants would be rather dark green)!
Just tossing some ideas...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode