The Planted Tank Forum banner

None toxic acrylic paint safe in aquarium?

16K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  flight50 
#1 ·
As the title says, i want to re-paint one of my ornaments and wanted to check that none toxic acrylics were safe to use (fully cured of course)

#4 ·
What material is it made out of? You have to be careful because if the paint isn't able to fully bond it will easily flake off in water. I redid my grandmas kitchen cabinets, and she has a little shelf where she puts the hand soap and what not over the sink. Water of course sometimes collects there and after a tiny bit of water only sitting for a day the paint was already flaking off. I'd just research what material it is and find a paint that will 100% adhere to it and not go anywhere. Maybe something that is water proof? Or you could also clear coat it with something waterproof after the paint dries such as waterbased minwax polycrylic. (not sure if thats aquarium safe or not though). I watch the show tanked a lot and they paint a lot of ornaments but no clue what paint or clear coat process they use.

#6 ·
The ornament is made from milliput, so I can key it to stick better. With Krylon I had seen it recommended a lot when I googled the answer to this but it is banned from sale in the UK due to the level of solvents and the number of idiots we had huffing the stuff.
I cant get plasti-dip easily here but I can get plastikote which Im not sure if its the same thing or not. I actually have a can of clear plastikote I can spray over the acrylic once its painted if that would be suitable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.