Co2 during the day air pump at night? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 during the day air pump at night?

How many of you run an air pump at night after your co2 goes off? The reason I ask is we put a new canister filter on last night switching from standard HOB filters and this morning all our fish were breathing very heavy and resting on the bottom. I am assuming this is because we didnt have anything breaking the surface overnight and the oxygen levels got very low. Would running an air pump overnight be a good idea? Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mark,

Your fish are telling you that you need to get some O2 in there and yes many do both. Since we donít know what your fish load is or surface area is and your tank doesn't get much surface agitation, an air stone would help at night.

JT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
I agree, I also use an airstone at night.

Spread the word...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Here is a link to our tank specs.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...front-56k.html
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Get the timer to turn off your CO2 ~30 minutes before the lights go out. This will allow the plants time to use up the CO2 in the water.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Get the timer to turn off your CO2 ~30 minutes before the lights go out. This will allow the plants time to use up the CO2 in the water.
This is the method I use. But I only do it 5 minutes before lights out. I run a Fluval 204 and the tank is heavily planted with no other surface agitation. I used to run the airstone before getting a solenoid. But with the solenoid, I have not had a problem.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I do have a solenoid on my regulator but it is currently turning off with the lights. I will try changing it so that it goes off about an hour before my lights go off just to be safe. If I do this do you think i still need an airstone at night?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't see why you would need one, unless your tank is severely overstocked, or your solenoid is not shutting off the CO2 completely. Have you checked that the solenoid is functioning properly?

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I turned the solenoid off this morning when i noticed the fish acting funny and i havent turned it back on. I just went under the stand and looked at the bubbles and it seems to be letting off a bubble about every two minutes. Could that small of a leak make that big of a difference overnight?. I just checked ph at 7.2 and KH around 7dkh giving me about 15ppm of co2 at this current moment. Fish are not breathing as hard but there is still little to no movement from them. They are just hovering around the bottom. I am thinking about doing a 50% water change.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
15 ppm of co2 shouldn't give the fish a hard time, so it's probally not the co2. A water change probally wouldn't hurt, but Im not completly sure of whats going on.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

unfortunatly I dont have an ammonia or nitrite test kits so I'm going to take a sample to the store and have them test it just to be safe. Also I changed my water and when I opened my bottle of prime it smelled like rotten eggs. DO you think it is still good or has it spoiled?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
That's the normal "scent" of prime.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

A little update on the situation. Water tested ok at the store so its not ammonia or nitrite. I have add carbon to the canister filter and cut off Co2 and added a airstone till things clear up. Some more info, I never use hand lotion or burn candles or use air freshener in the same room as the tank. The heater isnt broken or full of water. I am beginning to think some sort of toxin is the cause of this. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again for the suggestions.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
My tank is open top and I have the eheim lily pipe so when the co2 turns off I just raise the pipe some to agitate the water some. I use to run an airstone at night which was on a coralife timer that would automatically turn it on when the lights and stuff turned of but have removed it.

FUNction over form

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Update 2/5/07 5pm: I think it might just be my rams because they are the only fish acting funny at this point. They are also the only fish that did not eat today so who knows.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode