Does your aquarium have a smell? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Does your aquarium have a smell?

I'm not talking about a strong stench I mean when you open the hood what does it smell like? I have three planted tanks and 2 have a take-it-or-leave-it fish smell, but the other one smells like a forest after a rain. Sometimes I take a whiff when I walk by because it's so pleasant. Any way I got to wondering what could be the cause of this. the tank that smells good is the most established having been nearly untouched for 6 years while the others were set up a year ago. Also this tank has duckweed and the others do not so maybe there is a blanket of oxygen between the hood and the water line from that? Please share your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
My main 40 gallon is topless and I liken the smell to wet earth, like what the ground smells like after it rains. (also I do not use carbon in this tank, it contains 2 fancy goldfish and plants )

40B Goldfish Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Betta Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wet earth is a good way to describe it, organic-y is what I would say. Not the most pleasant thing but not overwhelming usually.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

my newer 40g also have an earthy smell, but after a water change theres considerably less of it. does anyone knows if this is caused by lacking filtration?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would assume it has more to do with all the organics and biological activity going on in the tank. So if you're diluting with new water is would decrease in smell. Just a guess though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

It has a fish tank smell. I can't really describe it. Like a small percentage of what the LFS smells like when you walk in.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I cleaned my 50 gallon 2 weeks ago. I always turn the filter off/low (fluval 305) while cleaning. I had to rush out of the house right after and forgot to turn the filter back up. 3 hours gone and I came home to a very very stinky tank. 30 min of the filter back to it's normal flow and it went away. I've found the amount of water movement in the tank really affects the smell I get. I would say check you filters on the ones that stink. Make sure you have enough movement around the tank. Especially if you have driftwood in it. I have two smells I look for

wet earth (what I strive for)

and

stagnant hell
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
I cleaned my 50 gallon 2 weeks ago. I always turn the filter off/low (fluval 305) while cleaning. I had to rush out of the house right after and forgot to turn the filter back up. 3 hours gone and I came home to a very very stinky tank. 30 min of the filter back to it's normal flow and it went away. I've found the amount of water movement in the tank really affects the smell I get. I would say check you filters on the ones that stink. Make sure you have enough movement around the tank. Especially if you have driftwood in it. I have two smells I look for

wet earth (what I strive for)

and

stagnant hell
You might have an issue with something in your tank. I left the filters off on my 55g for about 5 days when I went on vacation. Cleaned the tank right before leaving and forgot to turn the master kill back on. Came back and it was like nothing was wrong. Slightly stronger wet earth, but that was it.

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
You might have an issue with something in your tank. I left the filters off on my 55g for about 5 days when I went on vacation. Cleaned the tank right before leaving and forgot to turn the master kill back on. Came back and it was like nothing was wrong. Slightly stronger wet earth, but that was it.
I have a lot of drift wood in the tank. When the water isn't moving, the driftwood starts to stink up the tank. Filter on and the water is fine.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
same here - nice potting soil, wet forest, growing plant smell. Nothing fishy or approaching a LFS smell (you can instantly tell when it is a not-so-nice store)

If it is every stronger than that it is time for an instant water change. Only had to do this once, never did find out why or what made it smell a little fish-tanky that day. It had been less than a week since regular WC day, and I've gone longer than 3 weeks at times with no issues (normally every 1 to 2 weeks)

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Algae Grower

do you happen to have BGA? that particular algae leave a very horrid smell
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If I take a few plants out and leave them outside, while still wet, they smell earthy. Really cool. The water itself has little smell but its the same. My assumption is its due to EI dosing. Lots of nutrients = earthy smell.

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank >

My Hens and Chicks Plants >

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

I get this nice smell when I have a established heavily planted tank or with alot of floating plants like frogbit. Smells very earthy, like after a rain in your outside gardens. When I lose that smell is when the tank becomes unbalanced and starts to smell off/fishy. I know to up water changes, test that tank more frequently and increase plants. It's saved me some fatalities in the past.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The best way to describe the way my tank smells would be that it smells like a lake. It's that earthy slightly musty with a tiny hint of fish and plant smell. It isn't very strong, but doing a water change will make the room smell like a lake. I've had times where it got really really strong and I knew something was up with my tank and it was unbalanced.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Like everyone else is saying, it should smell like wet dirt - but only up close. If the room smells like dirt i'd think its time for a WC.

I've had driftwood that got a little stinky after it was submerged but it only lasted about a month.

Limnophilia aromatica has a nice smell and can help mask other odors....but you need a fair # of stems to notice it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode