Dry start problems :\ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Dry start problems :\

So i'm doing a dry start and it has been going for 3 weeks. I am just doing moss because i want it to carpet. i have been misting it with water 2-3 times a day to keep the moss from drying out but the problem is that the water is building up in the bottom of the tank and is now level with the height of the substrate. what should i do so it doesn't turn into a swamp/mold mess? if i stop spraying it the moss that is on a hill of substrate will dry out because the water is only as high as the lowest substrate right now. should i run a fan (but won't that dry out the moss too much?)?
also, the moss isn't really growing noticeably at all and i really would like for it not to die-any suggestions?

thanks so much!

oh and the moss is vesicularia dubyana. You can see what my tank looks like (if it would be easier to understand my problem) under the journal called "Shrimp Tank Journal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Suck out the excess water. Use a hose like you would a water change. Easiest way is to dig a hole in the substrate so you can get to the water without sucking the substrate out. Some moss might take a longer time to adjust to emersed conditions.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

Use air line tubing and siphon it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks guys! i ended up using a syringe and although it took a while, it worked well.
I hope my moss transitions to emersed soon
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
are you using cling-wrap to keep the humidity in the tank?
i blended my java moss and painted it onto a stone to do a dry start. the first week i didnt see much growth, after 2 weeks i saw little light green patches of new growth spread around the rock, after 3 weeks it has grown much faster and I am seeing bushy light green growth all over. good luck!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thebuddah-
I am not using cling wrap because i thought it might cause too much humidity and encourage mold (should i use cling wrap though?).
I just finely chopped the moss with scissors and laid it on the sand substrate (should i be doing something differently?).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

Definitely want to use cling wrap. Fan it out every day for fresh air to prevent mold.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by maximusprime; 08-26-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Spellage
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_22 View Post
thebuddah-
I am not using cling wrap because i thought it might cause too much humidity and encourage mold (should i use cling wrap though?).
I just finely chopped the moss with scissors and laid it on the sand substrate (should i be doing something differently?).

yes, i use cling wrap and take it off once a day to air out the tank and mist it again. i also peel back the cling wrap about an inch at one of the corners so its not too stagnant.

im not sure how moss will attach to sand. i would a long dry start just in case..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok! thanks everyone!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
You can also lay paper towel where there are puddles and allow it to soak up the excess water and then remove them. That is what I did during my DSM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (45/100%)
Personally I would scratch the whole thing and do it submersed. I've done many moss carpets and within 3 weeks I had a full carpet
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Personally I would scratch the whole thing and do it submersed. I've done many moss carpets and within 3 weeks I had a full carpet
so add water? how do i keep the moss from floating up from the substrate (could i just barely submerse it, like add water until it is 1/4" above the substrate)? how did you get the moss to grow that fast (lighting, ferts etc)?
right now it seems to be growing slowly, but it is also getting a little brown...
thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
the moss should be pretty attached if its been in there over a week. Definitely use some cling wrap and close it up to maintain the humidity. check out my DSM thread, and see what I am doing. Although I am using HC, I spreaded some fissiden over the rocks and driftwood and its doing quite well! Let me know if you need anymore help

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode