Keeping bacteria alive? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Keeping bacteria alive?

I posted another topic where I'm setting up a 10g I'm going to take some filter media/gravel/water/plants from my 29g and it would be around 5 days before ill be able to set up the new tank, will all my good bacteria die in this time?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

You always loose bacteria when food isn't plentiful. Its a slow die off though but if you can avoid loosing any I wouldn't. If your still running your 29g, let the media stay there until you need to move it. If your taking down your 29g, put the media in a bucket with some type of aeration going. Feeding that bucket ammonia will be the easiest imo. Like a fishless cycle except your not growing bacteria necessarily, your maintaining it. You can also add fish food and let it break down but in just 5 days, the release is alot slower than adding ammonia in liquid form.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
You always loose bacteria when food isn't plentiful. Its a slow die off though but if you can avoid loosing any I wouldn't. If your still running your 29g, let the media stay there until you need to move it. If your taking down your 29g, put the media in a bucket with some type of aeration going. Feeding that bucket ammonia will be the easiest imo. Like a fishless cycle except your not growing bacteria necessarily, your maintaining it. You can also add fish food and let it break down but in just 5 days, the release is alot slower than adding ammonia in liquid form.
The 29 is staying at my home with my patents I'm going to be living off at school in an apartment, ill be leaving to go out there tm night but won't get the tank and such until probably Friday! So if I set up in a bucket with tank water some will make it for the 4-5 days but some will die? I just want a nice kick start!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I very much doubt you'll see any drastic die off, the bacteria can go into a dormant state without a food source if needed, so long as they don't dry out completely.

In any case, they have a doubling time of just over 24 hours...so even a little amount can grow into a full colony rather quickly
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
consider supplementing the bacteria in the new tank with any variety of the quick start or even the sludge treatment products out there. Both seed varying types of bacteria.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't see the need to spend money on those types of products in this case.

I suppose if you are worried you could just have your parents add a bit of pure ammonia to the container with the media.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Add a few drops of ammonia when you put the media in a bucket, and leave it open to the air. These bacteria need high oxygen. Won't be significant die off.
These bacteria do not enter a dormant phase, and they reproduce slowly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Dormant in the sense that they will essentially stop reproducing, but survive to an extent. I do not believe the nitrifying bacteria will reach a spore stage or anything to that effect. Guess just a poor choice of words...

In terms of actual reproduction rate, I suppose compared to heterotrophic bacteria it is slow...but it's not like cycling all over again. Guess another poor choice of words...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode