What is this film on top of my water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is this film on top of my water?

There's a sort of film on top of my water and I'm not sure what it is, I've tried skimming it with my net to no avail. could anyone give me any idea of what it is or how to get rid of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130823_154541.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	197330  

All Advice is welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

Could be the water you're putting in.

or

Could be if the water is too stagnant, it creates a film.

I used to have a film over my tank because with just the filter running I would not get enough water movement.
I added an airstone to the other corner of the tank and I run it with just the smallest bubbles coming out (I have a diy co2 so I don't want to waste the CO2).

There's a bunch of other ways of doing it though I'm sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know I have a good water movement, so I guess it could be the water. All my parameters are fine, so should I just not worry about it? I just have java ferns in the tank now and they seem to be happy and growing well

All Advice is welcome!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Its been spoken of before in several threads. Increase your surface agitation to minimize it. Surface agitation and water movement is two different things. Its common with non-overflow setups. A better pic and more detail about your setup would help.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I believe it's a build up of proteins among other things that land in your tank, I would assume. As mentioned surface agitation (the actual "breaking up" of surface water) will help keep it from forming...sometimes you are able to suck it up with paper towel.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you running a DIY CO2 by any chance?

It looks really similar to something I observed a while back. - I had a bucket of water taken out of the tank during a water change, and I was going to use it to water plants over the next day or two. I dropped in a couple of beer bottles, and the next day there was a thick whitish film all over the water surface. my best guess was it had something do do with yeast introduced from the residual beer. (I've had several water changes sit around for a couple days without this happening, but I tried a repeat for verification, and sure enough, the next day the bucket was full of whitish surface scum.

As to removing it, you could always dip in a small container (like they use in delis, for take out soup, etc.), and just drain off the top. It's a bit tedious, but works pretty well for removing whatever is on the surface, including duckweed if you ever have a problem with that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Yup like everyone else has stated, its probably the protien layer, best way to get rid of it for me was to run an air pump at night so it breaks the surface and gets rid of the film and your fish gets extra o2. Or you could buy a eheim skimmer which is what I did and its cheap and works wonders

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode