The Sun light plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Sun light plants

I have had a huge obsession with making my tank as natural and healthy as possibly, which lead me to getting the most out of my plants and reconsidering my lighting. Currently i run 4 T5 HO over my 36 gallon 2 10000k and 2 5500K zoomed aqua sun. most would consider this too high, But i like the reds in my high light plants and the HC cuba doesnt grow well with only two bulbs at a time. but all this led me to start trying to grow plants outdoors....
here is the list of plants i have (excluding crypts) that i will be propigating into my outdoor tank with only water and the power of the sun!!! (no ferts for now)

rotala indica
rotala wallichii
rotala rotundifolia
ludwigia cuba
HC cuba
hygrophila corymbosa
purple combomba
sp belem

I also have two other plants i recently bought that werent labeled but they both look similiar to the rotala. one of them being a dark red maroon color, the other lime green.

so far ive seen awesome results in my rotala rotundifolia. i put one cut small clipping of a stem into my outdoor tank and burried it slightly. after a little under three weeks the stem turned into a small bushel with over seven stems i dont have the before picture but here is what it looked after.....

the plant became much lighter green and grew extremely fast. you can see how it glows compared to my belem clipping. the other plants which i clipped this from are shown below. the picture seems more blue above im assuming because it is at the bottom of the tank.

Ill probably wont be able to do all the plants till next year because summer is almost over. and the nights are getting colder. but so far california summer is doing a great job at growing this species. I currently have rotala indica in the outdoor tank and i will update soon on its growth. but so far ive noticed it turn orangish color on the tip.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode