Rate my plant selection before I buy. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rate my plant selection before I buy.

I'd like some input on my choice of plants. Here is the site I'm considering.

https://www.azgardens.com/

HC 3x5 mat
alternanthera reineckii potted or ludwigia scarlett bunch
ludwigia narrow leaf

Need to spend a few more dollars to meet the mininum order.

I currently have wisteria, anubias, water onion, and 2 other potted stem plants. I'm not sure exactly what they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

http://www.azgardens.com/p-74-hedge-...ium-plant.aspx

Perhaps a couple of these as well. This is extremely difficult.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><
To help people help you make a good selection a bit more info would be useful. Tank Dimensions, lighting, and do you plan on running CO2 or dosing ferts?

As far as the selection, I do like those plants. Though you will be able to get them at a much better price and much healthier if ordering off someone here on the forums. Give the sales thread here a good look.

I bought most my plants from http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ before I joined the forum here. The plants I got from the above site were nice, don't get me wrong. But I ended up kicking myself after realizing the money I could have saved and the much broader variety to choose from on here.

LOL it really is hard picking plants, I spent weeks picking mine out. Still not 100% happy with what I have, but I do know exactly what I want now Lots of it for me was learning what did & what didn't work for me. If this is your 1st Go at a planted tank I'd try and stick to beginner speices, least till you get a feel for it all.

Stephanie - RAOK Club #130

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
To help people help you make a good selection a bit more info would be useful. Tank Dimensions, lighting, and do you plan on running CO2 or dosing ferts?

As far as he selection, I do like those plants. You will be able to get them at a much better price and much healthier if ordering off someone here on the forums. Give the sales thread here a good look.

I bought most my plants from http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ before I joined the forum here. The plants I got from the above site were nice, don't get me wrong. But I ended up kicking myself after realizing the money I could have saved and the much broader variety to choose from on here.

25 tall with a 96w quad T5HO, dry EI ferts and plantex from GLA, DIY co2 with constant green drop checker, inert sand capped with lots of Floramax (dunno if HC will root to it), TF75 HOB with carbon.

I'll check that site out too. Thanks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post
I'd like some input on my choice of plants. Here is the site I'm considering.

https://www.azgardens.com/
There is your first problem.

jB
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
There is your first problem.

jB
I would have to agree. Check out the f/s section of this site for plants of much higher quality.

Take a look at Bartohog's f/s thread right here will be the one stop shop for what you need maybe minus the hc but everything else you have listed.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=416594

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This isn't bad either. Only problem is that Planted Aquariums Central is out of HC.

Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia, colorful plant 1 $3.19 $3.19
Hygrophila pinnatifida, Unique plant 2 $3.59 $7.18
HETERANTHERA ZOSTERIFOLIA, stargrass, 10+ stems 2 $3.19 $6.38
ROTALA WALLICHII, lush, colorful plant 2 $3.29 $6.58
Subtotal $23.33
Shipping (USPS (Approx. 2 to 4 days in transit)) Change $13.99
Tax $0.00
Order Total $37.32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
I would have to agree. Check out the f/s section of this site for plants of much higher quality.

Take a look at Bartohog's f/s thread right here will be the one stop shop for what you need maybe minus the hc but everything else you have listed.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=416594
Goodness I don't even know where to start.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-23-2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This isn't bad either. Only problem is that Planted Aquariums Central is out of HC.

Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia, colorful plant 1 $3.19 $3.19
Hygrophila pinnatifida, Unique plant 2 $3.59 $7.18
HETERANTHERA ZOSTERIFOLIA, stargrass, 10+ stems 2 $3.19 $6.38
ROTALA WALLICHII, lush, colorful plant 2 $3.29 $6.58
Subtotal $23.33
Shipping (USPS (Approx. 2 to 4 days in transit)) Change $13.99
Tax $0.00
Order Total $37.32
From Bartohog's f/s thread:

Hygrophila pinnatifida, $2 ea.
20-Ludwigia Arcuata 15$ for all
6- Rotala Wallichii 1$ each
8-HETERANTHERA ZOSTERIFOLIA Star grass 1$ each

Shipping $7 or free with purchases over $45.

I'm just saying for the money you will get plants that are grown submersed from another hobbyist and they are nice plants.....trust me.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PM'd him with this list.

8 of the Rotala Sp. Green
8 Rotala Magenta
1 Alternanthera Reinekii Ocipus
2 Hygrophila pinnatifida,
10-Ludwigia Arcuata
4- Rotala Wallichii
4-HETERANTHERA ZOSTERIFOLIA Star grass
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
PM'd him with this list.

8 of the Rotala Sp. Green
8 Rotala Magenta
1 Alternanthera Reinekii Ocipus
2 Hygrophila pinnatifida,
10-Ludwigia Arcuata
4- Rotala Wallichii
4-HETERANTHERA ZOSTERIFOLIA Star grass
You won't be disappointed with his plants. Just so you know that the Atlernanthea Reinekii Ocipus is different than the Alternanthea rosefolia but still just as nice.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've seen too many reviews of the online vendor in question to even come close to comparing them to the quality of members here...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
I've seen too many reviews of the online vendor in question to even come close to comparing them to the quality of members here...
I was having a tough time finding somewhere to buy from. I kept searching for things like 'ever buy plants online before' or 'best place to buy aquarium plants online'. There just weren't any highly recommended places to buy from. I'm glad I started this thread.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
I was having a tough time finding somewhere to buy from. I kept searching for things like 'ever buy plants online before' or 'best place to buy aquarium plants online'. There just weren't any highly recommended places to buy from. I'm glad I started this thread.
Reason being is that each on-line retailer has its own set of problems. Buy from hobbyists like mentioned above and, saving money aside, you will get something that you can not buy: support every step if the way.

v2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Just like any store, reviews are going to be a bit varied...you can't always please everyone and you sometimes have to read between the lines to see whether the bad review is actually because of the seller's mistakes. But there's a bad vibe about certain places for reasons too.

Some of the only online "stores" I purchase from now are hobbyists who expanded their forum sales to a website. But it's just so easy to get quality plants, low prices, and support all in one place here.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've bought fish, shrimp and plants from there. None of which were good quality. I was greatly disappointed and would never do business with them again. Mind you they did offer "store credit", but that doesn't help when I don't want to buy from them again.

Buy from a fellow hobbyist. I've bought from several, and have yet to be disappointed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode