Help! Need FAST fry catching help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
Help! Need FAST fry catching help!

I have to move all the fry out of one tank today before new adults that will eat them move in! We've put in all kinds of caves, tunnels, and plants which is normally a good thing - but when it comes to catching almost 3 week old fry who are lightening fast and hide behind and under all the things we can't move... it's a bad thing! Please help - tried the baited bottle trick, but they are used to eating algae and food that mom and dad spit out, so it's not working. Got the parents already moved to the new tank with about 1/3 of the fry - but don't really want to feed the new fish with the HRP fry! Even tried siphoning them, but they are faster than the suction is strong little devils!

Please give some workable solutions for catching them! Mom and dad taught them well where to hide before we netted them (live and learn - catch the parents FIRST)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Well, when it came to moving our cherries out of a tank into the 55g... we were able to just set the whole tank into the bigger tank and shoe them out.... Of course this won't work if your tanks are the same size or the other way round.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ROTFLMAO! They're in a 65g (36x18x24)!! I don't think that would work too well, but it presents a really funny mental image!

Heck, at this point I'm thinking of taking the media out of the canister, removing the sponge prefilter, and let the filter suck them up FOR me! I'll just have to put some netting over the output part of the canister so they don't make a "round trip" thru the filter! Anyone think it would work, it's their favorite corner of the tank... How long would they be ok in the canister container as they're being sucked up (assuming it works...)?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
Have you tried other "bait and trap" methods as in: leaving the net in the tank for 15-20 min. so they get used to it and then feed them as you normally would. When they come up to feed, quickly scoop them up. It won't get all of them but it might get a few more out. Sometimes I use two hands, one holding the net and the other to scare them into it. I've also been known to lower the water level until there's only an inch or two in the tank and it definitely reduces the amount of places to hide.
If your filter has any kind of impeller than it might not be a good idea as they can get chopped up. I'm not familiar with canister filters so I don't know how it would work.

Spread the word...

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
What if you just syfoon out the water of the tank like a water change... but do it like 90% then take all the ornaments and stuff out and shake them in the other tank to get any fry off. Then you should have most of them.

It's called natural selection, in this case your nature .

-Andrew
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
One of the great uses of a turkey baster. I use mine for recovering brine shrimp from the bottom, priming AC's, catching fry...

Moved to Tucson.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Get the biggest net you can fit in your tank and then use a smaller net/stick/whatever to herd the fry into the big net.

When I set out to rid my 125g tank of guppies I used a 9" and an 8" net. Even with a tank full of plants I could flush them out from cover with the smaller net and into the big one.

óBill

|
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, but this is just the most useless venture I've undertaken in forever! There are caves that are "sorta built in" that once they go into, nothing but another fish can get them out of there. That's where they run everytime the net even moves. Lowering the water won't help that issue either. Two nets won't help. Baited bottles don't work either. The only hope is massive suction somehow (taking the media out of the canister and using the filtration system to help, plus siphoning them out by hand, only just sticking a hose into the cave and missing most of them I imagine...). I'm exhausted, my back is killing me, and this tank is NOT designed for catching fish - especially little ones that are way faster than I am.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:04 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
Turn up the CO2 until you can get them to come to the top or become lethargic. I'm sure some will see this as inhumane....does it work...it did for me. Good luck getting them out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
wow sfcallen, that's brilliant! I have searched the topic on many occasions myself, and this is a first. Very clever, and so obvious! I would have nver thought of it.

It is kinda nasty- but you are doing it for their own good! No worse than letting them be fish food.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
don't play around with the co2 .. that's nuts.

get a siphon and suck those guys up in a bucket... and then just use your hands to scoop them up.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Saganco, aren't those fry Honduran Red Point cichlids?

~Lupester

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes Bluebell, they are - did I say that earlier in the post? And after a VERY long and exhausting day of netting, lowering water level, netting, netting - I have got over 150 I'm guessing. I believe there are about 8-10 left, but if they managed to evade me ALL DAY LONG, I believe they will survive just fine! They'll grow strong and healthy now with their own abilities.

So - that ordeal is over for now. Next time it will be when mom and dad spawn again (IF they get aggressive towards the kids then, if not, I'll leave them with mom and dad till it's time to move to the LFS).

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode