Lighting schedule - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Lighting schedule

Recently I set up a tank using moss as the prominant plant taking up a lot of space in the tank. Because of this, I've wanted to run light at a lower level, but I also have glossostigma in the tank. Come to think of it, my lighting system can't be set to "low light" anyway, but I thought I'd try asking for some advice on setting a schedule for this tank.

With 2x 55w PC over an 18 gal (60cm) tank, I can run 1 bulb at about 3wpg, or 2 bulbs at 6wpg. I've got it set to do 10 hrs with 3 in the middle at 6wpg, but interested in hearing opinions. Yes, there is pressurized CO2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Geezus that is alot of light for a 60cm, I use 2x36 on mine with it 6" to 10" above the tank at various intervals and it is still a lot of light.
I run one for 8hrs and two for maybe 2 to 4hrs on some days, not everyday.
But moss is much more "forgiving" than the plants I am curently growing in my 60cm.
I have an AHS reflector which adds punch to the lights already, are you useing the AHS reflec's?
Just play around with it, you can tell when to much is being burned, BBA will start, instantly back off some, then you will have to trim out the BBA, it won't just vanish, and add a shot of Excel.
This is how you find that threashold.
1x55 would be plenty if you could adjust it up and down.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thanks craig. Hmm, in that case maybe I'll just run it and like you said, adjust based on algae. I do know 2x36 would probably have been a more useful way to go, but this lighting system was easier for me. This is not AHs but a pre-made fixture from Jalli. So maybe the weaker reflectors will mean I get less punch, and therefore not frying my plants quite so badly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode