Cichlid Aquaponics? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cichlid Aquaponics?

Hey everybody,

It's been a few years since I posted or was active on the forum. Good to be back!

Our water in Utah is pretty hard - I haven't tested it recently, but it seems like last time I did, I remember it being around 8.2 - just about perfect for cichlids, from what I hear. I just got a really old 55 gal tank and have been struggling to decide whether to go with a planted community tank or to try my hand with cichlids since they're so much more colorful and I don't have to worry as much about algae because there's less bioload from plants. Then it hit me - Cichlid aquaponics! I can still have the pretty fish and stuff in the bottom and have pretty plants clean the water by having the plants be outside the water column. Plus, it will grow food for me!

Has anyone on the board tried this? How did it work? If you have any pictures or advice for me as I plan things, I'd really appreciate it. I'm excited to start getting this set up as soon as I'm settled in our new house. (today is moving day! yay!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
8.2 pH is a bit on the high end, most aquaponic setups thrive closer to 6.5-7.5 (most of the time they stabilize in this range).
But it's not too far off, might just need to focus on planting things that don't require a lower pH (like strawberries).
It should work, but I just don't see every plant type thriving. Go for it, report back and let us know!

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I believe you'll find you'll a lot of fish bio-load to sustain your grow bed plant's needs. I found out early into my system that my young gold fish were not enough to supply my grow bed nutrient needs. Now my Oranda Goldfish are tennis ball size and I'm seeing good growth in my plants.

The nice thing is the growbed is a massive filter + plants and it's a super filter.

Last edited by DogFish; 08-26-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: sp

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
yeah, the filtering is a definite bonus, that's for sure.

bitFUUL, were you saying that strawberries need a low ph or that they don't mind a higher one? Sorry, I couldn't tell from the wording.

for my setup, I was thinking of drilling the back of the tank an inch or two above the substrate level and having that be where I connect the intake to the filter since the substrate is where most of the decaying fish-poop is, but I don't want to suck up the sand. I would then put the outflow from the filter in the growbed.

I'm still trying to decide/learn about ways to drain the growbed. a bell siphon or two would allow me to leave the filter on all the time so it's easier on the impeller, but from what I hear they can clog pretty easily. There's always a weep system on a timer, but then you have to have the canister filter turn on and off several times a day, which is harder on the motor and impeller.

Also, Cichlids seem to be branded as fish for the expert fish keeper - do they stress out easily? If so, will the constantly changing water level be too rough on them?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstermann View Post
Also, Cichlids seem to be branded as fish for the expert fish keeper - do they stress out easily? If so, will the constantly changing water level be too rough on them?
This depends on the Cichlid. If you're referring to African and most South American cichlids, they get this "brand" because they are very aggressive and tend to kill each other off. So scape and stocking levels need to be optimal for success.

Also, some cichlids are vegetarians...so eat plants. Also they love to dig, so rooted plants are difficult to impossible to keep with them. That said, there are lots of great looking cichlid tanks with live plants.

Over stocking of Cichlids is used to control the aggression. so lots of filtration (10x+ turnover) plus large water changes (50% weekly) are the norm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode