Amazing Angelfish Parenting Behavior - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazing Angelfish Parenting Behavior

I am lucky enough to have two breeding pairs of Angelfish. They are housed in a 40 gallon tank with a see-through tank divider in the middle. Two of my angelfish recently spawned and I ended up with about 200 babies which are alive and well, frenziedly feeding on BBS in a 5 gallon tank. They are about 4 days free swimming, and as always there were a few runts who never ate. Today I took one of the runts (who was guaranteed going to die) and put him back in the parents' tank. I let the parents raise the fry to free swimming, and then turkey bastered them out of the tank, so the fish know what their babies look/smell/taste/whatever like. Immediately the female attacked the runt and ate it, or so it seemed. A minute later she spit it back out and placed it onto the spawning slate, protecting it from the other two angelfish. Amazingly, after 4 days away from the babies she still recognizes them.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
wow ...interesting...
I would love tp see a pic of the free-swimming fry. What type of angles are they?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
That's really special that she would take him back... I have seen angels that would raise fry from other parents- IF they had their own fry at the time. You can add in others, but only if they have their own.. what you have there is amazing. She's a good mommy. Next time why don't you let her raise them herself instead of pulling them? I just find it beautiful to watch angels raise their own fry

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just read that angels suck fry into their mouths to clean them. I'm new to angels, so this could be common knowledge, but it sounded pretty cool to me. I have four quarter sized angels in a 29G and there is definitely some pecking order and paring off behavior happening, so perhaps I'll get to see some of this parenting magic, if I'm lucky. Anyone know of good angelfish resources out there? The Wikipedia entry is pretty good, but brief.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy View Post
Anyone know of good angelfish resources out there? The Wikipedia entry is pretty good, but brief.
AngelFish Forum II - Index

~Lupester

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is my first spawn that I'm raising in almost a year. I still have eight juveniles from these parents that are about 4 inches tall. The angelfish are standard/wild color, and my other pair is gold. I wanted to raise these fry by myself so I could feed them well and ensure a high survival rate. The fish will spawn again in at most two weeks, and then I'll let them raise the babies themselves. They are amazing parents; when this tank was a planted tank with cardinals and rummynoses (and the other angels) the pair defended a clutch of free swimmers for almost a week. I'll take pics tomorrow after the SATs

These pics are from a year ago of the first spawn I raised

The size difference that a week makes is amazing. The big guy is from the standard/wild color parents, the small one from the golds.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode