Quarintine Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quarintine Tank

I am working my way out of an outbreak of Ick in my 50. I am going to get a 5 or 10 this weekend and make it into a QT.

That said, I will likely only use the QT 2 or 3 times a year. Do you cycle the QT and maintain it with just water? Or, do you set it up each time you need to use it? It takes 6 weeks to cycle a tank plus or minus. I am wondering how to do this without having another tank running.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Search: Quarantine tank. It'll answer the questions you have now and the ones you haven't thought of yet.

I keep mine running, with MTS, Ramshorns, 5 zebra danios and RCS I'm growing out. Others prefer to run a sponge filter in their main tank and move that into it when needed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you will only run it a couple of times a year and with just a few fish, then keep it in storage until needed.
Get an Aquaclear filter.
When you are ready to use it take a little filter media from your cycled tank and put it in the Aquaclear. These filters have a large chamber so you can fit almost anything in there. No cartridge needed.

Bare bottom. Just a rock or two in case the fish want to hide.
Trimmings from the main tank. Let them float. If the trimmings die, no big deal. They are additional material for the fish to hide in, and provide some cover from imagined predators, so the fish feels more secure.
Heater, perhaps a bit larger than average in case you need to crank up the heat to treat Ich.
Light, timer so the fish have a regular day/night schedule.
SEPARATE TOOLS from the main tank, gravel vac, 5 gallon bucket, net... Never share anything between Q-tank and main tank until you know the new fish are healthy.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Qt

Will try and drive to town later today. I'll see about getting a 5, 7, or 10 tank, a heater, a small light, and some quar. tools. I am thinking of a foam filter. Never seen one in action but have read about them. That way when I need to use the QT I can put the foam filter in the big tank for a few days then use some water and foam filter on the QT and not worry with cycles.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would go with the 10g if you have the space. Usually they are just as cheap if not cheaper than the smaller sizes. You can also get a package deal on them at most stores that include everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A couple of days in the main tank will not grow enough bacteria.
Water from the main tank does not contain a significant amount of bacteria.

Water in the Q-tank should match the water in the bag that the new fish are acclimated to.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
A couple of days in the main tank will not grow enough bacteria.
Water from the main tank does not contain a significant amount of bacteria.

Water in the Q-tank should match the water in the bag that the new fish are acclimated to.
OK, that makes sense. My 50 has a HOB filter and there is empty space behind the 4 filter elements. If I put the sponge filter in there and it lived in the HOB filter it should grow a good colony of bacteria and be ready for use.

I don't understand matching water in the bag. I thought the idea was to slowly add water from the tank into the bag and then finally put the fish from the bag into the tank.

So, I decide I need or want to use the QT I fill it with water from the 50, install the filter from storage in the 50 HOB, let the QT tank run like that and it should be cycled, right?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

You'll need to transfer some established media to the HOB if it's in storage. Water from the tank wont add any bacteria.

What a lot of people do is just run the "extra" filter on the main tank and then move it over completely to the QT. There may need to be some decontamination afterwards but it's a pretty simple changeover.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

[QUOTE=MarkM;4145066]OK, that makes sense. My 50 has a HOB filter and there is empty space behind the 4 filter elements. If I put the sponge filter in there and it lived in the HOB filter it should grow a good colony of bacteria and be ready for use.

50 is normal tank, QT is a 10, purchased today. I purchased a sponge filter with the tank. I will store the sponge in the HOB on the working 50g. I assume after several weeks that the filter sponge will have a nice bacteria colony. When I want to use the QT I will take water from the 50 and remove the sponge from the 50 HOB and install and start it in the QT.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry about that, didn't notice the part about the sponge. That should work in theory. I wouldn't worry about adding water though, just think of it as a near 100% water change for the fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode