Bacterial Bloom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bacterial Bloom

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that is well established and heavily planted in dirt with gravel cap. I have/had 10 neon tetras, 4 black neons, 5 otocats, 2 albino Cory's, 2 angels, 5 shrimp and lots of snails.
My problem is that I am having a bacterial bloom that seems to be pretty bad and I seem to have lost 3 neons, and 1 black neon. I found the skeleton of one of the fish but not any of the others due to the large amount of plants.
I'm also not sure what went wrong first although I'm pretty sure the bloom was before the fish loss.
I tested the water and everything is good, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, and ph are all where they need to be and the remaining fish seem to be ok.
Being that I'm not able to remove the remaining dead fish because I can't locate them, is that going to cause more problems or will the shrimp (I'm assuming the shrimp or snails are what left the skeleton of the one I found) take care of the clean up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, the shrimp etc will take care of the clean up, but I would skip feeding the tank for a couple of days. The dead fish can add a lot of ammonia to the water. Though a Neon Tetra in a 46 is not going to add that much, and the shrimp can eat it pretty fast. It is probably gone by now.

Usually a bacterial bloom will not kill fish. I wonder if it went the other way? Something killed a fish or two, and the bacteria responded to the extra nutrients by growing.

Did anything else happen a day or two before the bacteria bloom? Perhaps 'something else' is responsible for both the bacteria and the death of the fish.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

I believe a lot of bacterial blooms seen in aquariums are from heterotrophic bacteria rather than nitrifying. Any reason to think that there may have been a recent increase in organics? Very unlikely it would cause fish deaths though unless it was extreme...

I do agree that the bodies will probably be cleaned up and wont cause a huge spike but it's something to monitor.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess Diana is right, the bloom is the result of the fish dieing, when I came home today one of the angels was dead.
The only thing I've done out of the usual routine is put some cucumber slices in the tank as the Amano shrimp seem to like them. I've done this about 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I did do a water change immediately before the problem occurred which is 10 gallons and I've always done the same amount the same way and never had but just a little cloudiness that would only last at the most half a day. I also have 2 other tanks that I do water changes on usually within a day of doing the 46 and they are smaller and have no issues. The only thing I did different is I've only put the cucumber in the 46.
I just did another test and the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all 0ppm. The ph is 8.4ish
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for the double post, I didn't realize the posts have to be approved and thought mine was lost.

I forgot and I'm not 100% sure about the timeline but I think I did get 3 of my otocats before the problem occurred. I did a drip acclimation in the bag they came in but this time I dumped the fish and the water into the tank which I don't usually do but the fish were hard to catch in the net.

The place where I get them is not a pet store but a very good freshwater fish and live plant store. I've bought a lot of fish from them and have never had a problem. The 3 cats look good but is it possible the water could be the cause of the problem?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I'm going to post this for third time, for some reason they're not showing up in the thread.
It looks like the bloom is the result of whatever is killing the fish.
I came home to a dead angel. I've had cloudy water before but this is really bad it is not only cloudy but blurry,if that makes sense.
I tested the water today and the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are 0 ppm.
When I did the water change that started all of this I also did a water change on my other 2 tanks, a 20 tall and a vase that is about 2 gallons, both planted one dirted the other sand. They are both fine with no cloudiness what so ever. The only thing out the ordinary as far as maintenance or feeding is that I put a single slice of cucumber in the tank for the shrimp about 3 times in the past 2 weeks.

Getting worried

Tags
ammonia levels, bacterial bloom, dead fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode