Question regarding resealing a tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Question regarding resealing a tank

I bought a couple 55 gallons off of cl and completed resealing 1 and was moving on to the other and seems I haven't seen before popped up. Everything on this tank but the bottoms seems is sealed with black maybe caulk. But it reminds me of the rubber that u use to keep your window a screens in their frAmes. There is a tiny tiny leak in the corner of this one but if I can't reseal all the seems then what should I do?

Not the greatest pictures but maybe someone has experienced this before???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anybody. This tank is just sitting in limbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
If you can't seal the leak with a little patch, you'll need to pull all of it out and reseal it. I don't know what the black stuff is, can't tell from the photos.

Is it possible that it was sealed first with black caulk or silicone then covered with clear?

•
•

•

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-20-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

There is no clear caulk on the inside. I was planning on cutting all the inside silicone out and replacing it. Better safe then sorry. But this black "caulk" seems to be use not only to seal it but for structural reasons as well. So I could cut and clean and reseal on the inside but I don't want to risk a water surge thru my living room

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hrm. I can't quite see it.

•
•

•

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the reply. I'm just gonna razor blade and reseal tomorrow and let it cure and fill it with water this weekend and go from there

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
clean the glass with acetone at the seams before you silicone it for superior holding, let it drys good 30min after rubbing the edges with acetone before applying silicone.

I've resealed a 125g by doing that and it's leak free and no silicone peeling in over a year
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was using rubbing alcohol. I read that it evaporates faster and it seemed to work wonders on the first tank I did. I'm gonna give it a whirl today. Then when it cures ill fill it up in my drive way and let it sit for awhile

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you sure it isn't just black silicone? It's usually on the shelf right next to the clear stuff at the pet store.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode