Hello I have a few questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello I have a few questions

Hello All, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. About 3 weeks ago i got a betta fish hes in a 5 gal tank and has fin rot. i was on a betta fish forum and a member sugested live plants and said this was the best place to get info on them. They told me that live plants eat the ammoina in the water and help with the cycling process yet i've never owed live plants before. Could they really help the health of my betta? And how do i take care of the plants? (they sugested a plant called hornwart) If with god willing my poor fish doesnt die i'd like to do all i can to keep him healthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well, yes and no. In such a small tank I would not recommend relying on plants alone for filtration unless you are really aware of what you are doing (some may disagree). But they can help!

There are a lot of smaller, easy plants to choose from...java fern, java moss, Anubias spp. smaller Cryptocorynes are just a few. Hornwort is good as it sucks up nutrient quickly, however I've had bad luck with it myself. What is the lighting situation like? A lot of these will do ok without much, but they do need some light.

Is this tank filtered? Do you have a good, liquid test kit? The latter is essential to make sure that your ammonia (and also nitrite!) are monitored. Then lots of water changes will make sure they stay very low and do not effect the betta as much as possible. Again, water changes will go a long way!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

I do i forgot to mention that. I have a whipser filter even tho atm there is no carbon filter inside of it because the vet i spoke too told me to give him betta-fix to help with the bateria. I also put some aquarium salt in the water as well.

I forgot to mention that i do have a testing kit. I think he got the fin rot because i didnt know about ammona and nitries. All i had before was gold-fish and my mother took care of them like 20 years ago.

I'm upset because even with the water change another part of his tail fell off today. I saved him from a kmart...i didnt mean to kill him but anyways i did a test today and it was

Ammona was 0ppm
Nitrites was 0ppm
Nitrates was at 0ppm to 0.25ppm.

on two forums i post on they said they pretty harty and if i keep with the clean water he should heal on his own, but someone did sugest plants and i'm as clueless with plants as i was with the betta

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

What test kit are you using? Liquid or strips?

I've never seen a nitrATE test kit register that low...most seem to be around 5 ppm as the lowest point after 0 ppm.

Fin rot can certainly be healed with clean water, in my experience. Don't worry about not having carbon, it's not necessary. Really all you need is a type of foam or floss or something like that.

Are you also using a dechlorinator? If on city water you need to make sure to remove chlorine/chloramines.

Bettas are pretty resilient, but unfortunately that means many people keep them in less than ideal conditions. I think you be able to get yours through soon enough. Definitely don't be worried to ask more questions.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

I'm using the api master test kit the colors on that peice of paper they looked between 0ppm and 0.25ppm. I do have prime water conditioner in the tank as well. I'm not sure what foam or floss is. Could the carbon be making him sick? Or does the things you've mentioned mearly filter out the bad toxins better?

(yes i've been told bettas are reselant, but i also feel very guitly almost to the point i want to cry. I wanted to help the fish not make him sick and maybe sick to the point my last resort is to get my dad or my mom to flush him. I supose i could take what i learned and get another betta but idk. i'm worrying too much)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are you sure you are using the correct test or is that a typo? The API kit does not have 0.25 ppm as a color for nitrate. Did you mean nitrite or ammonia instead?

Carbon wont make him sick, didn't mean to give you that idea. It's a polishing media and also is sometimes used to remove medications after they've done their job. It is just that it loses its effectiveness after a while and I find it unnecessary so I don't spend my money on it. Is that the only thing in your filter?

Don't feel too bad, honestly, almost everyone has gone through this point in the hobby before. Your betta is still alive and with the right care you will be able to get him back in shape.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

yes i said it wrong it was between 0ppms and 5ppms im sorry i messed that up in my head. I'm sorry about that. As for the filter i only have a carbon cartrage in the filter..even tho atm its in my back-hall since i took it out so i could treat for the fin rot with the betta fix.

thats very very true, i'll admit if my store never got the fish gardens in and the other bettas kept dying i wouldn't of gotten my fishy but its only been a day since the water treatment the aquarium salt and less than 12 hours with the betta fix. It will take time and hopefully he'll get better. If not i know i'll feel bad for awhile but maybe with all i've learned i could get another one. I mean cleaning a tank once a week isnt a hasle at all. I clean the cats litter box once a week its only a few hours of my time.

Just only if i knew all of this at the start he wouldnt of gotten sick. i guess all i can do is try.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Have you tested the tap at all? Technically, showing 0 ppm ammonia/nitrite and showing nitrate means your tank is cycled. However it's possible to get nitrate from the tap.

I'd suggest adding some more media to the filter.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Here is a great link with much info and easy to follow instructions.Good luck.
http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.htm
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

How's the Betta coming along? Mine had this last month. Change water every other day and aquarium salt for 10 days. Should see good improvement shortly.

Plants are great. Java fern, micro saggitarius, anubias are easy and don't take much light.

All the best to your betta!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode