Dry Start Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Start Questions

Hey guys,

I've just started my first DSM (see the link in my signature) and just want to be absolutely sure on a few things.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that you shouldn't let the water rise above the substrate, not even small puddles?

Also, should I put any nutrients into the spray bottle I am using? Maybe Flourish?

Lastly, I have two higher parts in opposite corners. I'm finding when I mist, these areas obviously dry out a lot quicker than the lower parts. If I mist a lot in these parts, I find it causes puddles elsewhere. Should I even be worried that these areas dry out? Is so, how should I go about making sure everything is evenly misted?

Many thanks in advance! =]

Past time tropical fish keeper. Re-engaging by tackling the planted aquarium!

Starting Small!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Needs updating...

Progress: Algae is (finally) under control with new plants that are establishing well. I think I'm about to start fertilising... :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You are on the right track. Do some searching for "Tom barr" and "dry start" in the same line, he has some excellent articles that outline the do's, and do nots.

Do not let the water get above the substrate, do blast the plants with as high as light as possible, don't worry about the taller area soil drying out, as long as there is moist underneath, then it won't matter.

For ferts, I was filling my spray bottle from my tank water on a tank I heavily EI dose, and then showed to work very well. Using a non-inert soil like MTS or aquasoil will also help supplement the dry start process.

Tags
dry start method

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode