CO2 Supplementing with Excel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
CO2 Supplementing with Excel

So I just purchased a 24" Finnex Ray 2 LED for my 25gal planted tank. I'm running it as a low tech setup now, so I know I will need CO2 in order to keep up with the new light source, or else I will have an algae farm overnight. I looked into a lot of DIY projects because I am a little short on cash after purchasing the light. Seeing as my tank is the centerpiece for our new living room, my girlfriend and myself wouldn't be happy if I had a 2liter bottle full of nastiness with a bunch of tubes hanging out all over the place. So I looked into getting Flourish Excel, but I have several plants that would be affected by it (worried about my Jungle Vals, Taiwan Moss and Java Ferns) and i'm also planning on keeping invertebrates in my tank as well, and I heard they don't take kindly to Excel either. But I heard its only in normal or overdoses.

My question is, could I use a pressurized system based for a smaller tank (Like the Fluval Mini CO2 20 designed for 15 gal tanks) and supplement the rest with a half or quarter dose of Excel?

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SunDevil76; 08-17-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: nevermind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
My only concern would be that with it being undersized, I'd assume the CO2 levels wouldn't be very consistent...which might lead to algae problems such as BBA. Granted, not sure if the Excel would then take care of that issue but not something I would count on.

I will say that I've done full doses of Excel and never seen any issues with java fern or Vals...quite the opposite actually. No issues with various snails or RCS either.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Shrimps should be fine with 2x excel. Don't do the recommended initial dosage. I didn't. Just dose 2x excel daily. For your val, well, can't say if it would melt or not. I assume it would....

Canon Pimp Club #005

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
My only concern would be that with it being undersized, I'd assume the CO2 levels wouldn't be very consistent...which might lead to algae problems such as BBA. Granted, not sure if the Excel would then take care of that issue but not something I would count on.

I will say that I've done full doses of Excel and never seen any issues with java fern or Vals...quite the opposite actually. No issues with various snails or RCS either.
Yeah well i'm always ready to take on a little bit of algae, i'm getting livestock to take care of whatever myself and the Excel aren't able to get rid of. If it gets too crazy though i'll probably end up switching back after awhile so it doesn't make things fluctuate even more. Would the inconsistent CO2 cause any other problems like ph swings or anything?

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SunDevil76; 08-18-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: More questions
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

pH swings from CO2 aren't going to be an issue since it doesn't change TDS.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
your better off buying a 5lb tank rather than buying the small co2 cartridges. it will save money in the long run.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmuck44 View Post
your better off buying a 5lb tank rather than buying the small co2 cartridges. it will save money in the long run.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
Yeah the replacement cartridges by Fluval are definitely overpriced, but there are other 16g cartridges I can get from Amazon that are much more economically feasible. Also there's an adapter that will fit the threading on paintball tanks if I wanna go that route in the future.

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Been dosing 150-200% excel for 2 weeks with jungle vals and Amano shrimp, no issues, shrimp healthy, vals doing great. I have some moss, not sure what kind, not doing so well but that may be lighting issue.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspell View Post
Been dosing 150-200% excel for 2 weeks with jungle vals and Amano shrimp, no issues, shrimp healthy, vals doing great. I have some moss, not sure what kind, not doing so well but that may be lighting issue.

What do you mean by 200% OD of excel?? You need to explain.... If 5ml for every 50g, do you dump 1L of excel daily in your 50g tank.....

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
200% dose would be 2 times the dose, so 10ml for 50g. 1L of excel would probably kill just about anything, fish, shrimp, plants, etc.

As for plants with excel, I have read that plants that are sensitive to excel can be acclimated to it over time. Starting with a small 25% dose for few days, then moving to a 50% dose for a few days, the 75% for a few days, and finally getting to a 100% dose after 2 weeks or so. Of the plants you listed, Vals are the only ones that would mind the excel, so maybe just rehome the Vals. The moss and java ferns should be fine with it.

As for shrimps with excel, there is very mixed reviews on using excel with inverts. Some say they use it all the time with no problems. Others say it wiped out their entire tank. Also, with CO2 gas injection, PH swings can be a problem for shrimp, so you want to be sure to have a consistent PH. I have read about many people waking up in the morning with a tank full of dead shrimp due to PH fluctuation over night. With the excel it doesn't effect PH so it would be safer, but many report deaths of shrimp with excel use. It scares me to use on my RCS tank so I don't. I do use it on my community tank with ghost shrimp and they seem unaffected. Although ghost shrimp are tanks, I think I could set off a nuclear bomb, and they would still be scouring the gravel for debris and doing there thing.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

As stated above, the ph swings associated with co2 injection are not the same as ph swings due to changes in minerals.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
200% dose would be 2 times the dose, so 10ml for 50g. 1L of excel would probably kill just about anything, fish, shrimp, plants, etc.

As for plants with excel, I have read that plants that are sensitive to excel can be acclimated to it over time. Starting with a small 25% dose for few days, then moving to a 50% dose for a few days, the 75% for a few days, and finally getting to a 100% dose after 2 weeks or so. Of the plants you listed, Vals are the only ones that would mind the excel, so maybe just rehome the Vals. The moss and java ferns should be fine with it.

As for shrimps with excel, there is very mixed reviews on using excel with inverts. Some say they use it all the time with no problems. Others say it wiped out their entire tank. Also, with CO2 gas injection, PH swings can be a problem for shrimp, so you want to be sure to have a consistent PH. I have read about many people waking up in the morning with a tank full of dead shrimp due to PH fluctuation over night. With the excel it doesn't effect PH so it would be safer, but many report deaths of shrimp with excel use. It scares me to use on my RCS tank so I don't. I do use it on my community tank with ghost shrimp and they seem unaffected. Although ghost shrimp are tanks, I think I could set off a nuclear bomb, and they would still be scouring the gravel for debris and doing there thing.

Hahahaha...Ok, I got the math wrong. I thought the OP meant 200x of excel. We normally talk about OD excel in 1x or 2x or 3x.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
As stated above, the ph swings associated with co2 injection are not the same as ph swings due to changes in minerals.
So does that mean that shrimp/invertebrates wouldn't be harmed by the ph swings caused by CO2? Only ph swings that alter the TDS?

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil76 View Post
So does that mean that shrimp/invertebrates wouldn't be harmed by the ph swings caused by CO2? Only ph swings that alter the TDS?
That is how it was explained to me. My ph fluctuates ~1.5 or so every day/night, and goes back and forth a bit in between. So long as the fauna is acclimated to CO2 it shouldn't cause any issues.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspell View Post
That is how it was explained to me. My ph fluctuates ~1.5 or so every day/night, and goes back and forth a bit in between. So long as the fauna is acclimated to CO2 it shouldn't cause any issues.
Cool good to know!

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode