Getting driftwood to sink - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting driftwood to sink

So I bought this really neat (in my opinion) piece of driftwood from the LFS. Of course, it doesn't want to do anything but float.

I live in a small apartment so space is limited as to where I can soak (ie. I can't leave it in my tub) and the piece is too large to boil. Someone on another forum suggested using the dishwasher...so far that hasn't worked.

I really, REALLY don't want to go the slate route. I don't want to deal with drilling nor do I want that much floorspace being taken up and restricting root growth. I can try weighing it down with the rocks I have right now and soak in the tank, but I have plants coming soon and also don't want to scape around the wood if it ends up floating up accidentally.

Any unconventional methods for getting driftwood to stay submerged? Or do I just have to deal with the other options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try soaking it in a bucket for as long as you have to. It should become water logged after an amount of time depending on what type of wood it is. What type of wood is it?

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Can you find a Rubbermaid bin that it will fit in and soak in that?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The OP already stated he/she doesn't want the floor space taken up. So tubs / buckets / pails are out. Unless there is a balcony, in which that only leaves soaking in the tank. To be honest, it looks like the planning stage was lacking a bit here. Until your wood is water logged, its not worth trying to scape the tank. Its just going to frustrate you considering you don't want to drill. Rock weights can work but it will still require a workaround. If you can't soak externally out side the tank, there isn't much you can do. Perhaps a friend that has space can setup a soak bath for your wood. The dishwasher idea is totally worthless. It needs to soak, not be cleaned in which all takes time. As mentioned above, it depends on the type of wood. If it was Malaysian, its sinkable from the start and you probably wouldn't be posting this.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Float the wood in the tank until it sinks. When the plants,arrive, float those too or plant them if theremis space

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmommy View Post
Float the wood in the tank until it sinks. When the plants,arrive, float those too or plant them if theremis space

That's too much of a waiting game. There is no time frame for when that wood sinks. Could be several days, several weeks, or several months. Not all plants are floaters and some will die, lost funds. One thing to factor in is the light itself and being that close to it.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok. Worked for me.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you don't want to go the drilling slate route then maybe find some kind of bonding agent that will secure the 2 together. I'm not sure silicone will work but I'm sure there is something in your local hardware store that will fix it.
Failing that you might want to try tying fishing line to suction cups (find the ones with holes) and suction to the bottom of the glass , after a while the wood will stay and you can cut the line.
Good luck

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have used aquarium safe silicone to attach wood to slate many times. It should be allowed to cure a full week before placing it in water.
It also stinks when it is curing, so small apartment dwellers beware!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have used lead fishing weights- with success. Looks kind of crappy but I stuck some moss on it until it stayed down by itself. Now I toss new driftwood into an out door pond. When I want it I pull it out and give it a water blasting to clean it up

Regards,
Aquaticz

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 AM
ETK
Planted Member

Another option is to superglue the wood to a rock. quick and easy.

-ETK

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks everyone for the ideas, going to have to see what works best.

And yes, bad planning on my part. I was hoping the wood would sink on its own since its a fairly large piece but I guess I learned my lesson...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Can you place the wood in the bathroom sink or kitchen sink? If so, I would grab a pot and boil enough water to fill up the sink and let the wood soak.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Nope, too big and awkward.

Purchased a large tote. Not huge on having that much water just sitting on the floor, but we'll see if it decides to sink on its own. Hopefully not too long...

Plants are supposed to come tomorrow. May end up floating the stems but have some crypts that should probably go right into the substrate.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 AM
Planted Member

Without seeing the driftwood it's hard to say if it would work without drilling, but I've seen where some have attached driftwood to eggcrate using plastic zip ties with good results. here is a good example.

When I did my 29, the wood floated even after soaking for 2 weeks in a trash can, and running it thru the dishwasher (only once tho) I ended up making pantyhose bags of lava rock to secure the driftwood. I made them rather long, snakelike, so I could coil it around the dw.

One way or another I am confident you will overcome floating driftwood!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
—KV

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode