Hello and observation about mosquito larvae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello and observation about mosquito larvae

Hello TPT,

This is my first post so I will offer a little introduction. My name is John Geanangel and I am a long time aquarist...40+ years. At one time or another, I have worked in all aspects of this hobby...from LFS, Wholesalers, maintenance, and even worked weekends on a fish farm. But, for the last 15 years I have only been a hobbyist. Currently I am maintaining 6 fw tanks all with plants, all low tech.

I love to feed my fish mosquito larvae! I also grow bonsai trees and have a number of vessels in my garden that maintain some water and serve as great ML hatcheries. I collect these and treat my fish...they love it.

So, here is what I have observed...I had some extra "dwarf" water lettuce that I placed in several containers earlier this year. Without exception, these containers have seen a 99% reduction in ML. The water lettuce only covers the surface completely in one of these containers...the rest have a 20-40% coverage...effect is the same...no larvae???? All containers without the lettuce continue to produce ML the same as in years past.

Does water lettuce contain some natural inhibitor to mosquitoes? Has anyone else noticed this or know a reason why it might be happening?

Thanks for your feedback!!
John

as a side note...my "dwarf" water lettuce only seems to be dwarf when grown in an aquarium...outside it seems to reach a size of at least 80% of normal variety...is this typical??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Funny thing, I have two buckets on my deck, one with some Cabomba and Red Ludwigia and one with nothing but water. The one with plants has no ML while the other was loaded with them. Maybe someone here can explain this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
interesting observation.

maybe the water lettuce is out-competing algae and such, so there isn't as much for the mosquito larva to feed on?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
Funny thing, I have two buckets on my deck, one with some Cabomba and Red Ludwigia and one with nothing but water. The one with plants has no ML while the other was loaded with them. Maybe someone here can explain this.
Interesting...maybe its not just the dwl...I will have to try some other plants and see if I get the same results...Thanks for the feedback.
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
interesting observation.

maybe the water lettuce is out-competing algae and such, so there isn't as much for the mosquito larva to feed on?
I guess that is a possibility, but it seems if that were the case there would only be fewer ML...not a nearly total absence.

Thanks for the feedback.

Any other thoughts out there?

John

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-17-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

HMm.. my personal observation is that clean tanks with plants and flow but no livestock, doesn't seem to get ML. However, if I leave a container with soil or decaying stuff beside my active tanks, these get ML. Didn't test outdoors though, so its still a loose observation.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The only reason I can think of for it being an all/nothing situation is if the adult mosquito has some way of sensing how much 'food' is present in a given water supply, and choosing to lay eggs in the more suitable container.

again, just a guess, I really don't know, and am just trying to think of possibilities.

We'll have to keep this in mind next time someone posts looking for a science project idea

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode