Fish Suggestions for Large Oddball Community Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish Suggestions for Large Oddball Community Tank

I've kept fish in the past and currently have a 10 and 20 gallon, but only recently decided to take the plunge into the world of big fish and bought a 120 gallon tank. Eventually, I'd like it to be an oddball community tank planted med/heavy with low and moderate light plants. So here's my question: Which fish? I know you guys hear this a lot, so let me be a bit more detailed.

I have a 120 gallon, 60"x18"x24" tank, filtered by two canister filters capable of filtering 525 gph each. The filters contain coarse, medium, and fine pads, bio balls, ceramic rings, Seachem Matrix stones, Seachem Purigen, and activated carbon. The tank is heated to 78 degrees by an inline heater, and monitored by a thermostat that will cut power should temperatures reach 80 degrees. The substrate is a 50/50 mix of Eco-Complete and fine rounded river rock/sand. A bubble wall is installed along the back of the tank. Eventually, I'd like to build up a wall of large, flat river slate, stacked up to make caves, ledges, and pass-throughs. It currently has two 48" Current USA Satellite+ LED lights. As for the water itself, it's a blend of mostly RO water with a touch of liquid rock from the tap. The goal is a KH of around 5 and pH of 7. It's been treated with Seachem Prime and Stability. It's been set up for over a month and currently houses seven giant danios, six Agassizi cory cats, and a Banjo catfish. I started with the smaller of the fish on my wanted list so they could grow out a bit before any of the bigger guys get introduced.

On to the fish! I've always liked the strange and unusual, and my taste in fish hasn't proven to be any different. That's why I decided on an oddball community tank, particularly with larger fish. Guppies, platys, and swordtails are cool, but for this one I want the kind of fish that when people look at the tank they think, "What the heck is that?" I've made a list of some of the fish I've found so far that I like, and I'd like to get more suggestions from you guys of interesting fish to make a balanced tank of upper, middle, and lower level swimmers. There are a few criteria, though.

Nothing under 3" adult size
Won't tear up/eat plants
Won't tear up/eat tankmates
Are peaceful in a community setting
Are strange/unusual/weird/cool/interesting

With that in mind, I'd also appreciate any feedback you guys have on some of the fish I've thought about adding.

King Galaxy Pleco (L282)
Columbian Shark/Jordan's Catfish (Debated whether fresh or brackish)
Angelfish
Discus (I've heard angels have a disease that kills discus? Info on that would be nice)
African Butterfly Fish
Ornate Bichir
Pearl Gourami
South American Puffer/Brazilian Banded Puffer
Indonesian Tiger Fish (Debated whether fresh or brackish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
First thing that jumps to mind are mormyrids. Just about any of them, though some get rather large / predatory...

Knifefish / ghosts.

Leaf fish.

A bit small perhaps in your tank, but lionhead / buffalo cichlids, a West-African bottom dwelling dwarf, might be of interest.

~Bruce
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I honestly wouldn't put an ornate in that size tank, they get pretty hefty and are piscivores. A senegalus or delhezi would be better suited to what you are saying.

African butterfly fish are pretty awesome and tehn you would do a west african type tank with some cool catfish, Ctenopoma etc

The reality is that if you go with a lot of the cool, larger oddbals, they are not generally very peaceful. I don't consider discus or angels oddballs, but you could certainly do a beautiful discus tank in a 120g

Last edited by msjinkzd; 08-15-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: adding more

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
I 2nd the delhizi bichir, maybe think about a wild severum (like the nototus) black ghost knife, dragon goby, or the daemon cichlid (satanoperca daemon) to start. I'd say no to the datnoid (tiger fish) or the columbian shark, as both get a foot or larger and are piscivores as well.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.

Tags
community, fish, large, oddball, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode