Seachem Prime and Tank Cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seachem Prime and Tank Cycling

So I'm about a week and a half into my fishless cycle. I'm using the API Master Test Kit and my ammonia drops from 3ppm every 24 hours so that kind of bacteria seems to be developed. However, My Nitrite readings are the consistent vibrant magenta color. First of all, its hard to tell on the API Color Card what the Nitrite level is. I am using Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator. I recently heard that Prime can cause false positives/negatives for some of these water tests. How can I be certain what my levels are? Very frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
It's the ammonia that will give you a false reading. Pick up the seachem ammonia alert badge and stick it in your tank. It works up to a year and gives you an accurate reading when it comes to ammonia and using Prime.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well that should work, but man is that thing ugly. Any other alternatives that don't require me purchasing any more SeaChem products, or any other products for that matter?

Also, after reading more into the issue, I heard Prime is only active for 24-48 hours. Is that true? And if so, couldn't I just wait 48 hours for an accurate test? Or should I just use another water conditioner or will that yield false results as well?

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SunDevil76; 08-15-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: additional question

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bump

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I wouldn't worry too much about your ammonia readings quite yet, the nitrite stage usually takes the longest to complete and happens very suddenly when it does begin. Just keep doing partial water changes if your nitrite levels are too high.

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherspawn View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about your ammonia readings quite yet, the nitrite stage usually takes the longest to complete and happens very suddenly when it does begin. Just keep doing partial water changes if your nitrite levels are too high.
Okay I'll keep at it! Do you know if other water conditioners do false test results or is it just Seachem Prime? I don't know what to believe anymore haha.

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil76 View Post
Well that should work, but man is that thing ugly. Any other alternatives that don't require me purchasing any more SeaChem products, or any other products for that matter?

Also, after reading more into the issue, I heard Prime is only active for 24-48 hours. Is that true? And if so, couldn't I just wait 48 hours for an accurate test? Or should I just use another water conditioner or will that yield false results as well?
You already have a ammo test kit that is more reliable.

Yes, prime is only active for so long. So you would only get false readings when its actually in the water, like after a water change.

Which are your friend right now
Keep up the w/c's and try to keep the nitrite ~5ppm or at least readable on the scale. Too much can stall the cycle as well, no point in trying to chew through a million ppm of nitrite! Always add your prime and dose the ammo back up after every w/c.

You'll be done before you know it!!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Many folks reduce the amount of ammonia they add by 1/2, once nitrites appear and this help's shorten the nitrite stage while still assuring the bacteria are being well fed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Many folks reduce the amount of ammonia they add by 1/2, once nitrites appear and this help's shorten the nitrite stage while still assuring the bacteria are being well fed.
Okay i'll do that! I'll just start using the normal Aqueon Water Conditioner I have for the rest of the cycle

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Are you doing a fishless cycle?

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
Are you doing a fishless cycle?

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
Yeah there's no fish at the moment. Just adding Ace Janitorial Strength Ammonia

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil76 View Post
Yeah there's no fish at the moment. Just adding Ace Janitorial Strength Ammonia
I would not worry about water changes or dechlors at the moment then. Now it is a waiting game. You can speed it up with tetra safestart, 10 days vs 4 weeks. Prime only gives a false positive of .25 ppm ammonia which is essentially zero anyhow in terms of cycling your tank (along with 0 nitrite and some nitrate) but that only lasts about 24 hours then your test is correct. Prime or safe are the ones you want to use when you have fish without a doubt.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah stick with prime, its a great product.

It leaves the ammonia available for your bb colony too, just converts it to a form safe for livestock.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Are you on AAPE? Come join us, do a google search for "AAPE"

edit: BTW, go WILDCATS!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester946 View Post
Are you on AAPE? Come join us, do a google search for "AAPE"

edit: BTW, go WILDCATS!
I think I stumbled upon that forum a couple weeks ago. I'll definitely join! I hope they accept newbies like me haha. You guys usually do meetings and stuff?

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode