Plant order messed up. Plant ID needed :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant order messed up. Plant ID needed :(

Hello all!

Received a shipment of plants today and almost nothing I ordered came in

I already contacted customer support about it, but in the mean time I'd like to know what these two species are.

One picture shows what looks like a large variety of hairgrass, micro sword (prob not), or I hope it's not, but Mondo Grass. I did order dwarf sag, but this doesn't look like it.

The other picture i'm not sure what it is.

Any help would be appreciated as I try to muddle through this frustration.

Attachment 191842
Attachment 191850

Thanks!

Last edited by Positron; 02-25-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Algae Grower

First one looks like Crypt Spiralis. I just planted some of that a few weeks ago. Grows well. Leaves were straight bladed like that upon arrival, but new growth kind of ruffles or twists.

A So. Cal. living in Cleveland.... for now.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It might be...kinda looks like it. How about this? I assumed it was Hygrophilia angustifolia, but with this order who knows.

Plant #3
Attachment 191874

Last edited by Positron; 02-25-2014 at 04:51 AM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (37/100%)
Plant #3. Looks like crypt. Balansae.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for your input travisk.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Balansae - cool crypt, can get 2 feet tall (and more). Looks great in a clump with the leaves bending at the surface

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
What's the initial of the place you orders from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikon Pimp #82
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisk View Post
Plant #3. Looks like crypt. Balansae.
It is.
The #2 was grown emmersed, not sure what.
Bet from AP.com

v2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
It is.
The #2 was grown emmersed, not sure what.
Bet from AP.com

v2
Thanks OVT. Want to venture a guess on #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
What's the initial of the place you orders from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA.com

doctors foster and smith related page.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-14-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Thanks OVT. Want to venture a guess on #1?
C. spiralis

v2

Tenets of TKD
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Planted Member

Not sure on the second one, but the first one does kind of look like crypt. spiralis. I've ordered from places that I can't say the name of. Sometimes they are on your order, other times you get plants that you didn't order and it used to drive me nuts. It always seemed like a guessing game. ordered ludwigia arcuata once and got didiplis diandra, ordered pogostemon stellata and got rotala rotundifolia or limnophila aromatic hippuroides. Ordered rotala green form 2 or 3 times and never got it. Ordered downoi once and had to wait almost a year to get it! Had to call them several times about it too. What some of these places don't understand is that you order these plants because that is exactly the growth habit, leaf shape and color that you want in your scape, then when your order arrives you get stuff that you never planned on using. Bottom line is if you want what you ordered then order from people on here. Only had one bad experience on here but I've always got what I ordered and the shipping is generally a lot cheaper. There's my rant for the day. lol
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisk View Post
Not sure on the second one, but the first one does kind of look like crypt. spiralis. I've ordered from places that I can't say the name of. Sometimes they are on your order, other times you get plants that you didn't order and it used to drive me nuts. It always seemed like a guessing game. ordered ludwigia arcuata once and got didiplis diandra, ordered pogostemon stellata and got rotala rotundifolia or limnophila aromatic hippuroides. Ordered rotala green form 2 or 3 times and never got it. Ordered downoi once and had to wait almost a year to get it! Had to call them several times about it too. What some of these places don't understand is that you order these plants because that is exactly the growth habit, leaf shape and color that you want in your scape, then when your order arrives you get stuff that you never planned on using. Bottom line is if you want what you ordered then order from people on here. Only had one bad experience on here but I've always got what I ordered and the shipping is generally a lot cheaper. There's my rant for the day. lol
I considered it, but I'm kinda a newbie here and I thought you needed to have a minimum post count to do any financial transactions. I'm really missing my HC and DHG though. It's the staple of my new setup.

By the way. Thanks again all who chimed in. Atleast I know the plants I did get will grow up to be beautiful specimens.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I didn't have many posts when I made my first purchase from a member here. I think I sent him a PM and said I was interested in his product and once the order details were finalized, I paid him immediately via PayPal. I can't speak for everyone here but we all started at zero posts and zero transactions. Unless you were placing a huge $100-plus order, as long as you pay quickly it shouldn't be a problem. You can find stuff here that can't be found anywhere else!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

That's why WTB on TPT is your friend.

I cannot count how many times I've seen "best place to by plants" threads: do a quick search and you get a lot of pros and cons, including mine's.

And yes, I am biased as I sell a lot of plants on TPT.

Edit: and yes, I am a bit gleeful: my PM box is full of PMs from people asking about plant recommendations, growth patterns, dosing, prices, layout, "best lights", etc. A dozen PMs from the same person are not uncommon.

Some say Thank You, most don't bother.
And then they disappear and get their plants "on line".

This is my rant of the day.

Edit: some plants like Limno Cuba can take a month+ to convert to immersed form. I lose 3-4 plants out of 5 in the process. The amount of leaves they drop and the decay they produce in a 65g tank is impressive. Each stem takes up at least 3 sq in and a healty plant outgrows an 18" tall tank in 5 days.

And then you get: Oh, $7.50 in shipping and $1 per plant is ridiculous. Oh, can you overnight them to me for $7.50? Oh, no heat/cold packs? Oh, it will take 3 days?

Just ask in open forum how many times I have not delivered what I prommised and then some.

ONCE.

And even that one will be squared away in time.
And there are 10s or 100s people on TPT who deliver even better.

Phew

v2

Tenets of TKD
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 AM
Planted Member

And now me and OVT are going to start a new section in the forum called rants for the day. lol, Just kidding OVT.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode