20g overstocked?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 20g overstocked??

new planted 20gallon xhigh
current fish: 3 zebra danios, 8 neon tetras
Want to add a few more neon tetra, so a total of 12 maybe. Also a small school of cory, an SAE or 2, and possibly a dwarf gourami for centerpiece.

Overstocked? If so, would removing the three zebra danios do it? any suggestion..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
going with that, youre definitely not overstocked currently. 12 tetras is a good school and cories would make a good group of bottom feeders. I would stay away from the SAEs because I hear with growth and age they become a terror, especially in a tank too small.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your ideas will overstock the tank, but I have seen some people successfully overstock a tank without any deaths because they have cycled the tank and were doing water changes frequently.

I would have 8 Neon Tetras and 3-5 Corys.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you are heavily planted and have good filtration, that certainly is not overstocked. I too would forget the SAE though. Maybe a few otocinclus instead. Dwarf gourami is one of my favorite fish; I keep a pair of males in a 20H. Be sure to give him some floating plants so he can build a bubble nest or he could possibly turn aggressive.

I have 2 dwarf gourami, 12+ chili rasbora, 5 cories, 4 otos, and 2 anchor cats, plus a breeding colony of RCS in a heavily planted 20H, and everyone is fine. Monthly water changes and nitrates never get above 30-40 ppm.

Sent from my HTC One X

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was aware of the SAE getting larger, up to 5 inches. But not worried as I will be setting up a 40breeder tank before the end of the year. I really just want something to help with eventual algae I will have. I had otos before but heard SAE are much more active. With the planned fish listed I thought 30% wc twice a week would be ok?

and currently have quietflow 50 by the way
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10292 View Post
I was aware of the SAE getting larger, up to 5 inches. But not worried as I will be setting up a 40breeder tank before the end of the year. I really just want something to help with eventual algae I will have. I had otos before but heard SAE are much more active. With the planned fish listed I thought 30% wc twice a week would be ok?

and currently have quietflow 50 by the way
The SAE will eventually stop eating algae and start eating smaller fish, I'd stay away as well. I had one and it was a little bastard and after about 4-5 months stopped eating algae all together, I wouldn't bother if I were you.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, would a single male or female gourami be best or a pair?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The SAEs size isnt so much the issue, but they can get aggressive in smaller tanks. One would be perfectly at home in a 40 though, as long as you have it set up and ready to move him if he shows any signs of unrest.

Sent from my HTC One X

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

otos it is then!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Also, would a single male or female gourami be best or a pair?
You wont find a female unless you get it straight from a breeder. They are very dull in coloration and lfs don't usually carry them. I would recommend a single male unless you have a ton of plants to break the line of sight during spats and two seperate islands of floating plants so each can have their own bubble nest. Most people say it can't be done, but I have successfully kept male pairs for many years. If they are similarly sized, their fights only involve a bit of chasing and flaring. Their duels are entertaining to watch and don't seem to cause any permanent damage or excessive stress to either. If the size difference is too great, you may have nipping issues that could stress the smaller fish. I once tried to keep a male/female pair and it was a disaster.

Sent from my HTC One X

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
new planted 20gallon xhigh
current fish: 3 zebra danios, 8 neon tetras
Want to add a few more neon tetra, so a total of 12 maybe. Also a small school of cory, an SAE or 2, and possibly a dwarf gourami for centerpiece.

Overstocked? If so, would removing the three zebra danios do it? any suggestion..

Thanks
Hi Anthony... A heavily planted tank would definitely go a long way.. I've found that a heavily planted tank with good, strong growth is also more forgiving of less-than-ideal water parameters. Or you could consider smaller tetras like Embers..? They've got rather low bioloads and you could probably add a school of 7-8 maybe? They school and if conditions are right, take on a lovely deep orange-red hue! Hope that helps!

G.

p.s. I had an SAE once and it was a nightmare to get out of the tank. You'd have to remove almost every single tank deco that could serve as a potential hiding spot. Those fish are like lightning!

Last edited by BoyNature; 08-14-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its my first planted tank and it is newly planted with some ludwigia, vals, dwarf lily, dhg, wisteria, dwarf sag, and a crypt wendti. Soil capped with eco complete so I am hoping everything flourish and fills in well. Im noticing new growth everyday. And Im too anxious for the dhg to carpet!

How often would you suggest changing the water with a planted tank? Ive seen from once a week to once a month.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Its my first planted tank and it is newly planted with some ludwigia, vals, dwarf lily, dhg, wisteria, dwarf sag, and a crypt wendti. Soil capped with eco complete so I am hoping everything flourish and fills in well. Im noticing new growth everyday. And Im too anxious for the dhg to carpet!

How often would you suggest changing the water with a planted tank? Ive seen from once a week to once a month.
You can't really go wrong with a weekly 10-20% water change. However, how often you NEED to change your water depends on how long it takes for nitrates to build up to a level that is uncomfortable for your fish. In order to know for sure, you'd need to test your water weekly for nitrates. You can also use this website to calculate how much water needs to be changed on a weekly basis depending on your tank size, filtration and stocking level:

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Of course, this website just provides an estimate. Overfeeding would obviously require you to do more frequent or larger water changes. According to this website, my 20 gallon is overstocked (mainly due to all the guppies I have), but I have more than enough filtration due to the fact that I'm using a filter rated for a 50 gallon tank.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been testing the water every other day to see where the levels are at and so far no nitrates. Im new to planted tanks but if im not mistaken the plants consume the nitrates which delays the need for water changes as often..maybe lol
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have a water change schedule, I have a water test schedule. I check parameters once a week and do a 50% water change when nitrates hit 40 ppm. Frequency varies on all of my tanks, with some needing weekly changes and one tank only getting around 3 water changes a year.

Sent from my HTC One X

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source

Tags
20 gallon, centerpiece, stock 20g, stocking help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode