What do you keep in your planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
What do you keep in your planted tank

I am curious to see who keeps creatures in their planted tank besides the usual inverts and fish.
Does any one crete planted tanks, biotopes, aquascapes for other creatures suck as amphibians or something else. Just curious. Wouldnt mind seeing pictures either. I am workin on two planted coldwater set ups for axolotl and Patchytrition. I cannot wait until it is time to order more plants. Patchytriton is only 10 gallons so I willbe working on that one first. Axolotl is 55 gallon. I still am thinking on how I should fix it up. Not used to working that large! Use to my 20 gal shrimp land. Seriously at where I work there are several exhibits I would like to redo as biotopes, I am sure they have it schedualed in the future, just a matter of monies.
I have an okay book about aquarium plants and there is 2 pages dedicated to one example of a cold water set up, anyone know where I can get goodinformation and diagrams about seting up plants in a cold water setup? (water is usualy aproximately between 60-72 degrees through the year, majority it sits at 65, only hits in the 70's on super hot days in the summer when the aircon is being difficult)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
pufferfish is about as exotic as I get

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:41 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
fire eel and 2 peacock eels for me.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

pretty cool because I like those puffers and eels.

If I were to ever do fish again, I think I would go dwarf puffers. Has one when I was a kid. BTW nice Betta you have in your Puffer Playground tank. Nice set up and cute puffers.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
I have an Amazon biotope (or as close as I am able to make of one) with only native amazonian plants, correct rocks, color of substrate save the leaf litter because I don't want to deal with all that, for my apisto cac breeding tank. In another tank my "grow-out/grow-up" tank for plants, I also house some Endler's. In another planted fun tank, I have l. curviceps which I hope will breed in there along with some panda corys and some half banded harlequin rasboras. We have a 72 gal planted with apontogeton b. and crispum, some anubias and java fern low light for some Malawi cichlids. We also have a 55 low-light anubias, java fern, and apontogetons for our grow-out of fry for the Malawi babies. I have a 2.5 with a few plantlets for one betta. The other tanks are bare bottom for some apisto babies I hope to have someday soon :-)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
My yoyo loach did not like my peacock eal for some odd reason and ended up killing him.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

o.O amazon biotopes. They have many of those at work, though I think some could use some work. You have any pictures on this forum of your amazon biotope? I would love to see. I heave great interest in biotope, even though I have not created any yet.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
I know 2 people who keep pirahna in their planted tanks.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 PM

PTrader: (0/50%)
I am planning on turning my 55gallon tube tank into a low light planted piranha tank... I need garbage disposals, man I love piranhas...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarikid View Post
I am planning on turning my 55gallon tube tank into a low light planted piranha tank... I need garbage disposals, man I love piranhas...
What is a tube tank?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
I am in love with puffers. I have dwarves right now. Will be getting a school of south american puffers.

I don't find other fish as exciting.

I am also looking into setting up a hillstream loach tank. Some of those guys look neato.

Eheim Pimp #216
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
some not usual fish&verts I've tried include;
dwarf puffer - didn't last long, was a noobie back when I kept them, will try again when LPS restocks.
glass eel - burrows without disturbing plants, great for nano's, mistaken as live worm in community tanks
peacock eel - nocturnal, refuses to eat anything accept live worms even after Months of trying
vampire shrimp - tough large size filter feeder, female more day active
bamboo shrimp - slightly sensitive large size filter feeder, female more day active
lace shrimp - very sensitive medium size filter feeder, male & female day active
dwarf African frog - easy to keep, digs under foreground carpet plants
blue yabbie crayfish - easy to keep, will dig up most plants, slow fish killer
Thai red claw crab - requires air access, fish&plant safe, escape artist, best in brackish water
trumpet, ramshorn, nerite snails - nerites are not worth their egg&crap mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 PM

PTrader: (0/50%)

The tank is cut in two with two tubes running between it.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what about that guy with the snakes ? i forget who it is but he keeps some kind of aquatic snake its in his sig.

Edit: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...ghlight=snakes here it is

happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

I have never heard of anything like that before, water snake being kept like that, pretty neat! Definataly not the usual.

I wonder how common those poisonous coral reef snakes are as "pets"? I would think they would need some special kind of permit being so deadly and all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode