Kordon Breather Bags - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Kordon Breather Bags

Hey guys, I'm planning to restart my aquascape and I'm planning on giving away my 3 Cory Sterbai, but I do not have any shipping bags for fish. I heard Kordon Breather Bags are one of the more recommended bags for shipping, but does it really matter? I'm probably going to use Priority Mail to ship away these fish, but does Breather Bags increase their chance of survival? Let me know your experiences and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
To me, yes, it does increase chances of survival because the breather bags actually let O2 in and CO2 out of the bag, thus unlimitizing the amount of air they can use. Using poly bags or other types limit the air supply in the bag. Also, when using poly bags, you need like a 1:3 ratio of water to air so that there is enough to *hopefully* last the whole trip . But doing this can kill the fish because when they are moving, the water in there sloshes and shakes, creating something like a washer effect. So I say, yes they do increase chances of survival
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
if you are overnighting then you could get away with poly,, but breather bags are def. better to use.. like said above there will sloshing around in poly as with breather bags you dont need to leave any air space

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks guys, I'm definitely buying those, but what about fish that needs to take a gulp of air such as Bettas and Cories?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
Thanks guys, I'm definitely buying those, but what about fish that needs to take a gulp of air such as Bettas and Cories?
You can leave a tiny space of air in there, but bettas can still function underwater, so, IMO, you should leave a small space of air for them to come up. Google up those shipping methods, they have some tutorials on how to ship them and whatnot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode