Killed my fish?!?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Killed my fish?!?!

Ok so here is my dilemma.
I have a revamped Fluval chi 5 gal tank that is planted with 3 neons and 3 white clouds with about 4 cherry shrimp and one Amono shrimp. I totally revamped the tank a few weeks, maybe about a month ago now, due to an infestation of ram horn snails that had wiped out most of my plants, everything was fine. The set up I had before just doing a couple upgrades was a small Marineland LED aquarium light that sits on the clear canopy and the Aqueon Quietflow 10 internal power fliter and like I said things had been working fine everyone seemed healthy but the plants were doing so, so. I found the new Fluval Daylight Aqualife & Plant LED Nano Aquarium Lamp and decided to give it a try. I also added a wood structure when I revamped the tank and the tannins were not clearing so I decided to upgrade my filter too. I went to the ZooMed 501 canister filter like I have on my other tank with wood and it’s crystal clear. I did leave the old filter to so not to pull all the biomass that it had and intended to leave it for about a week before pulling.
Well I made the changes to the light and filter Monday morning, everything seemed fine. I did come back that evening to add an Amono shrimp but no water from the bag was added to the tank. I came into work yesterday (Tuesday) morning to find of my 6 fish two neon’s and one white cloud were dead and the rest looked about to go. The shrimp all seemed ok for the most part. I instantly added some Prime thinking I might have had a Nitrite spike since the fish that were still alive where at the top like they needed air. I also pulled up the spray bar on the 501 so it was aerating the water. At that point I pulled a water sample the only test kits I have are the ph, ammonia and nitrites. The ammonia and nitrites were at 0ppm and the ph was at 7 which it is always at. I do realize that I pulled the sample after adding Prime but after thinking about it I really didn’t add much prime only 5 drops. The fish did seem to be doing better but the last neon passed by noon along with one of my cherry shrimp. The last two white clouds made it through to this morning but still look like they are about to go. The Amano and the only cherry shrimp I can see at this time seem to be doing ok… I talked to the fish shop I usually deal with and they said it sounded like I did everything right and weren’t really sure what would have caused this.
I currently have the spray bar submerged with about a 40 degree up angle agitating the surface not creating a lot of bubbles. I did have it out of the water yesterday morning agitating the water pretty heavy forcing air into the water. I did retest my water this morning and agian the ammonia and nitrates were at 0ppm and no change in ph...
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So on follow up the last two white clouds look to be almost gone. Their gills are still moving but for the most part they are not. I again have the spray bar above the water line agitating the water, lots of bubbles flowing through the tank.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
How long did you quarantine the Amano before adding him?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is it possible the wood 'structure' you added is the problem? Is it driftwood, if so, do you know what kind it is?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I didn't quarantine the Amano. I've never had an issue with anything I've gotten from this shop. Also with having only one tank here how would I quarantined it?
As for the wood I got if from the pet shop it's a ZooMed product meant for tanks, also that wood had been in the tank for the last month with them since I did the major overhaul. Like I said the tank seemed perfectly fine right up to adding the new filter. I rinsed all the parts in clean tap water, along with a dose of Prime in case any chlorine may have remained on any of the parts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
You should always quarantine things. Even if you have never had a problem before, there is always a chance something could go wrong. As far as how to, buy a second tank. Perhaps upgrade your small one to a bigger one and use the small one for a quarantine tank. I have a feeling the shrimp was carrying something that killed off your fish. Something that killed that fast could be columnaris, while it won't affect your shrimp, it will kill your entire tank in a matter of days if not treated for. Sadly it's becoming more and more common in the pet industry. Even though its a pain for me to keep a second tank running, I will never take it down because nothing goes into my tank with out being first quarantined. It's just not worth the risk to skip this step

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is there any way to tell if it is columnaris? also if you quarantine something for how long and like in this case how would I know if the shrimp was clear or not? Like you mentioned it won't affect the shrimp.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
Quote:
Originally Posted by gersh10 View Post
Is there any way to tell if it is columnaris? also if you quarantine something for how long and like in this case how would I know if the shrimp was clear or not? Like you mentioned it won't affect the shrimp.

Well the fish dieing over nights a good place to start.

Google Columnaris and look at the different photos. It affects different fish differently.

It can have a white cotten like growth on the mouth, discoloration along the body, ect

As far as how long, the shortest I go is a month for all my new fish.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode