Help - Revival of Anubias in underplanted 125 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help - Revival of Anubias in underplanted 125 gal

Hello,

I'm in the midst of planning a new tank and I've a 125 gallon with 160 W of T12 light that I've previously grown a variety of plants in including echinodorus tennelus, vals and sag.

Currently the tank is in a sorry state, I've not been around too much but I'm interested in 'rehabing' my tired anubias forest. Generally the plants are in a die back stage dropping leaves here and there with very little new growth. I'd say there's probably 15 ft of rhizone in the tank at various stages of degradation. Currently its growing on three large chunks of wood.

In the planning of the new tank I've purchased a C02 controller to get some stability of C02 which seems from the reading I've done on Tom's site to be the first requirement before adding nutrients to the system. I'm in the process of upping the C02 slowly right now so that I've a stable base to work from. My local water averages around 10 grains of kH and has a starting pH of 8.2, I've pushed it down to 7.6 thus far which yields 7 or 8 ppm on a chart or about 15 ppm with the degas method. I'm still adding more C02 till I see a response from the fish.

About the fish, they're a collection of loaches, rock kribensis, african cichlids, a lone male peacock, flower shrimp and danios. It seems an unlikely group of fish but its been stable for a very long time and everyone just gets along. Overall there's probably 25 fish in the tank, very lightly stocked.

Waterchanges are being done 75% every two or three weeks.

Can anyone suggest my next steps? Keep in mind the goal is to rehab the anubias in a lowly planted tank. I'll be testing dosing systems and my C02 system prior to the setup of a new one. I know the plant load and light levels are too low for anything quick, but it may be a while till I set up the new tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anybody?

no thoughts?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
with regular tank maintenance your anubias should bounce back without any trouble. They're very resilient plants.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Growing anubias emersed will speed up the growth rate.

Kevin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I've got the pH down to 7.1, if I add any more the fish start to look a bit weary. I've dosed the proper amounts of nitrate, phosphate and trace, so here we go, let's see what happens!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode